World's Best Shark Diving Destination

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selachimorpha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi everyone,

What is the best Shark Diving Destination in the World?

I want to hear the places you have been, which types of shark you saw there, how often you would see them, how many you would see etc etc.

Tell me all about your favourite shark destination!

I've always hear Cocos Islands were the place to go, but as you have alluded, there are LOTS of options. I dived Molokai and saw hammerheads and a sandbar.

Most tropical reef systems offer chance encounters with sharks, especially Grey/Caribbean Reef and White Tips. However, the best sites I have been to, or been personally recommended too for shark encounters are...

Overall best picks.....

South Africa (Aliwal Shoal & Protea Banks) - Tiger, Great White, Bronze Whaler, Zambezi (Bull), Nurse etc

Philippines (Malapascua) - Thresher, Schooling Hammerhead.

Philippines (Donsol) - Whale Shark

Philippines - (Tubbataha) - Grey Reef, White Tip Reef

Malaysian Borneo - (Sipidan) - Grey Reef, White Tip Reef, occasional Hammerhead

Australia (Ningaloo) - Whale Shark

Bahamas - Caribbean Reef Shark (esp Suart Cove's shark feeds)

FIJI!!!!
i did a shark dive here and it was awsome. i was basically watching a feeding frenzy with a tiger, loads of bulls, lemons, black and white tips and nurse sharks! the action was happening right in front of us and the tiger that rocked up that day (rare for a tiger to be there) swam rignt over our heads, close enough i could have touched it!!! the fijians were hand feeding these huge sharks!
it you ever go to fiji go to pacific harbour and do this dive!

I agree with DevonDiver on South Africa. I did many shark dives on the Protea Banks, KwaZul-Natal, South Africa, and that is the place to dive for Tigers, Bulls, Hammerheads, Blacktips, Raggies. Down in the Cape, South Africa is the spot for Great White diving!!

Gotta plug Galapagos. Saw about 100 hammerheads in 2 back to back dives at Mosqueras a couple weeks back. (supposed to be the easy site and hammerheads are rare). I don't even count white-tipped reef sharks as sharks anymore. Have also seen Galapagos Sharks and silkys, but only 1 whale shark. Giant mantas aren't sharks, but I still enjoy seeing them and schools of eagle rays.

Did something I never thought I'd do in July...After ascent, sailor yells there are fins all around me. I dropped a few feet and saw nothing, so I thought he was kidding. But after climbing into the boat, realized they were indeed everywhere. So I grabbed a snorkel and jumped back in. Easy to lift your head and see fins all around, hard to see them in the water, though I did get a beautiful view of 1 close enough to touch. Diving with sharks is common in the Galapagos...but snorkeling with them is probably as close as I'll get to freediving. What a cool experience!

Back
Top Bottom