World's Most Dangerous Virus ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver once bubbled...

Two words: Microsoft Outlook

The worst piece of swiss cheese software ever developed. Every virus program targets this awful email client because it's security is basically non-existent.

---begin sarcasm---
Yes, you're right, there have never been any known bugs with the e-mail client built into Mozilla, and certainly not with Novell, and not with Eudora, or Pine or Pegasus either, ahaha.
---end sarcasm---

Basically, the reason why there are so many more viruses written for Outlook, is that there are so many more people using it. I don't think it has anything to do with it being less secure, just more popular is all.

If you're a virus writer, you're going to write a piece of malware that's going to infect the largest number of clients, and the way to do that now, is to write it for Outlook.....

Atticus once bubbled...
"Standards", yes... It's good to have standards...

In my home office:
FreeBSD ... gateway, mail, news, file server, etc.
Solaris ... software development (on sun hardware)
Windows ... software development, test
Windows ... end user software, web client, etc
[/I]
Aren't standards wonderful?

There are so many to choose from!

JohnVranesevich once bubbled...

---begin sarcasm---
Yes, you're right, there have never been any known bugs with the e-mail client built into Mozilla, and certainly not with Novell, and not with Eudora, or Pine or Pegasus either, ahaha.
---end sarcasm---

Basically, the reason why there are so many more viruses written for Outlook, is that there are so many more people using it. I don't think it has anything to do with it being less secure, just more popular is all.

If you're a virus writer, you're going to write a piece of malware that's going to infect the largest number of clients, and the way to do that now, is to write it for Outlook.....

I agree with you on many points, but.... but...
Lets take webserver for example. What is the most popular one? You got it, Apache, and it runs in 99.9% on unix. Nonetheless, there's much more exploits for IIS. I think I'm right at least on this one :)
Then let's look at the general security consept of unix and windows

Windows - you can do whatever you want to unless you are forbidden to.

Unix - you can do only what you are allowed to do :wink:

khel

Khel sums it up pretty well, but there's another reason that Outlook is attacked- it's because it's easy to do. As I said before, like swiss cheese.

I'm tired of hearing MS's excuses and monthly patches. They need to fix the holes, leaks, and garbage and put out something that is reasonably secure. There are some pretty bright people working in Redmond that could fix this IF there was a priority to do so.

JohnVranesevich once bubbled...

---begin sarcasm---
---end sarcasm---

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom