worlds smallest whaleshark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is very exciting news since the whaleshark is so mysterious and so much is still unknown about their mating or birthing places.

Thank you for sharing this! I am so happy that it survived being caught!

Carolyn:shark2:

Threads merged

I got an email from Marie Levine from The Shark Research Institute confirming this story. Elson Aca is the researcher that took the pictures and got them to the SRI. It is quite an amazing piece in the whaleshark mystery. They will be doing an expedition to Donsol in April of 2010. They appreciate the help of divers to volunteer in their tagging and DNA sampling on these trips! I have been on them in Mexico. I am looking into this trip and would feel blessed if I come across such a tiny life that will have such a majestic future!

Shark Research Institute- Expeditions

Wow, so small. Saw once a picture in "Debelius"-book but I think the animal was dead. This one is so nice. Unbelievable that they grow up to more than 10 meters. Very cute, can I adopt it?

We saw it already....GREAT STORY!! Now we are a nursery for whale sharks....too cool.

I swam with two huge adults last summer in Mexico and was really excited and happy about it. I would love to see a baby whale shark. That's just too cool

Well...you can adopt the juveniles we tag at the SRI! You get notifications if their tag is seen and where your shark is. When I did the whale shark expedition in LaPaz Mexico 12/07, the shark I measured and help tag I named Tango. He swam me around in circles as I was trying to get a measurement of his dorsal. I have adopted him for life, but there were 19 others that year that we tagged.

Me and TANGO
2132512430_9e0bdf3406.jpg

2131737575_5c35579e30.jpg

Hi

Yes, this is an important piece of news, nothing really is known about the breeding of whale sharks, we do not know if the female birth in one special place or if they just give birth where ever they are, so to speak, dont forget there is no parental care after birthing they are not mammals they are fish so they have to fend for their selves straight away.

If you look at Ecocean.org it is a world wide photo ID database which everyone can be a part of, if you take a photo pr video of a whale shark please enter it into the database, this will help the researchers worldwide, this baby whale shark has already been put in, it was entered on the 9th of March .

We realize how important these findings are and how important a role everyone can play in help with the database. SRI is a great organization, I have someone coming to my resort in 3 weeks time that helps with our whale shark research.

Back
Top Bottom