Worried about computer slipping off hand - small hands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubanna1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I got a new computer (Aqualung i770r) and a new 5mm wetsuit to use on an upcoming dive trip. When trying everything on, I noticed that when the computer is on my wrist over top of the wetsuit, it can easily slip over my hand. Essentially, the issue is that the diameter of my wrist with the wetsuit on is the same size as the widest part of my hand. So I am worried that the computer will slip off during a dive, especially once my wetsuit compresses at depth.

I have tried tightening the computer strap more so that it wouldn't be able to slip past my knuckles, but then it begins to cut off circulation.

Has anyone with small hands come across this issue? Does anyone have some recommendations to ensure I won't lose it? I would prefer to wear it on my arm as opposed to attaching it to a console.

Below are a couple pictures to show you what I mean:

20191111_172820.jpg
20191111_172837.jpg

My daughter is small and has the same issue with a different computer. I am interested if someone has a solution to keep it on the wrist. In the meantime we moved hers to her right side shoulder D Ring. She can lift it and glance down to see the screen.

The obvious solution is to return it if you haven't had it for too long and get something of a more reasonable size, such as a Shearwater Teric. Upon looking at the owner's manual, it appears to ship with bungee adapters which might prove to be a better choice. It does look pretty much like a brick though.

One option might be to put it on your arm, just above your elbow. This would never work for my old eyes (too close), but I've seen a couple of younger divers do this.

Wear it halfway up your forearm. Fold back the end of your sleeve to help keep it on. Gloves will help as well, if you wear them.

If you like the computer Keep reading If not get over your purchase and buy one that fits better.

Two options have someone sew up a stronger elastic wristband for it. Or put a tether cord on it. my wife and I dive with Scuba pro computers that have two issues one the rubber wrist bands split break and you loose your computer this can occur without warning. The other is part of problem one my big fat forearms make the computer want to slide down like your experiencing I had to put so much force on the strap that they failed with minimal use and if its a pain to deal with alone its pretty concievable to loose it in a few situations. I cant for the life of me see why they have not came out with a solution for the problem a new bands about $35 they fail enough most ive shops stock a couple of them I doubt the ones I made will ever need replaced.

A tether cord with an elastic bungee is solution to loss. But iit wont solve it flopping around and being something you have to deal with during the dive. I made my own bands from an elastic belt sold from REI that works better than anything ive seen here or out in the real world. This was very simple to make I left a lot of extra on my band because I drive with a thick dry suit at times it could be a lot shorter but it allows for easier adjustments just before I hit the water your band looks to be of similar width

Attachments

• 37C43F86-E6FC-4702-8FA7-44C8BD67BC4A.jpeg
    37C43F86-E6FC-4702-8FA7-44C8BD67BC4A.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 5ADCC477-2EBF-4F0B-9083-9A44655DEF97.jpeg
    5ADCC477-2EBF-4F0B-9083-9A44655DEF97.jpeg
    81.1 KB · Views: 79
I have this computer and teeny wrists (5” diameter). I use the bungee connector and this along with wearing it slightly along my forearm works perfectly.

I thought I read somewhere here a few weeks back about someone taking an old wetsuit and cutting one of the wrists off about 3-4" and making it into a sort of cuff to wear under their wetsuit. That would give you a thicker surface to strap your computer to or if nothing else strap the computer a little higher than the "cuff" and that may help keep it from sliding off. Maybe talk to you LDS and see if they have any old tattered rental wetsuits they're going to pull out of service and discard that you could cut up.

Another option that I can think of would be to maybe sew a patch of velcro onto the wrist of your wetsuit and then adhere some to the back of your computer with some waterproof adhesive...maybe JB Weld or something similar. That would help keep it in place and you'd still have the wrist strap/bungees as help secure it.

Back
Top Bottom