Worried Onlookers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think anyone but divers knows what a dive flag is, at least around here. I'd never heard of one.... instead I had my big red SMB with me so boats wouldnt hit me. Does the general public around there know what a dive flag is? Here if you have a dive flag, the boats come over to see what it is :(

I suppose I could put a dive flag marking on the SMB, but if they dont know what it means, what difference would it make?

I faced towards shore occasionally so that anyone watching would see i was wearing a mask... which I think is a more well-known sign that you're scuba diving.

Maybe a big flag with a happy face on it would work.. hmm

Doc Intrepid:
You WERE towing a dive flag, weren't you?

The dive flag should be a clue to the onlookers.

Umm, in the absence of a dive flag, they would have had little ability to know exactly what was going on.

Not only is towing a dive flag a wise idea from the point of view of boats, onlookers, etc., but you can attach cell phone in a ziplock or drybox on the dive flag float so that you can make a "Help Mr. Wizard" phonecall if things deteriorate to that point.

I solo dive, but I tow a float or otherwise mark the dive site with a dive flag. If people don't know what the dive flag means, thats a different problem altogether! :wink:

FWIW...YMMV

yea, I don't tow a flag either. It IS the law but not enforced here. I do always have the sausage.

One thought is that no matter where you solo you will probably face the same sentiment. I used to try and slip off the boat discreetly so that no one really knew, but you get used to it after a while.

Sounds shallow enough...I have to say I am MUCH more reluctant (just me) to solo shore dive. When solo off the boat, I have a captain "on my team" watching for me, etc. that is worth so much. Here, the currents can change unexpectantly and then you are really SOL.

did you swim with MOF? sorry...just couldn´t resist...

I think having respect for other peoples feelings is great and I do agree with DocIntrepid about the surface swim but other than that...let other people worry about their feelings...of course if it takes something away from your dive, I´d say the easiest solution would be to dive all the way to shore, instead of surfacing...

Nope, I had my mask on my face where it should be... made swimming in the waves more pleasant :)

I guess you're right, now that the campsite is open, I'll have to change my dive plan, or go find some more isolated place to dive. It's too bad, that was a fun dive before the campers showed up, even with the long surface swim back.

grazie42:
did you swim with MOF? sorry...just couldn´t resist...

I think having respect for other peoples feelings is great and I do agree with DocIntrepid about the surface swim but other than that...let other people worry about their feelings...of course if it takes something away from your dive, I´d say the easiest solution would be to dive all the way to shore, instead of surfacing...

Doc Intrepid:
You WERE towing a dive flag, weren't you?
DeepBound:
I don't think anyone but divers knows what a dive flag is
You might be surprised how many do know. And remember, all it takes is one in a crowd to tell the rest that the flag means you're a diver and therefore ok to be outside the normal swimming area, and thereby ease the concern of the rest.
And then there's the law... others' ignorance of the law is even less of an excuse to break it than your own! Suppose the Coast Guard or local water patrol gets called out to rescue you? The taxpayers, through their law enforcement and judicial systems, may decide to recoup their wasted money - plus a little for the trouble.
You may not only be protecting yourself from boaters, you may be protecting your wallet.
Bottom line... drag a flag.
Rick

The thought of towing a flag gives me nightmares. I see boats running over crab trap floats and getting the line caught in their props all the time. Plus it's an extra "sail" for the current to tug on and then there's the obvious kelp thing.

swankenstein:
The thought of towing a flag gives me nightmares. I see boats running over crab trap floats and getting the line caught in their props all the time. Plus it's an extra "sail" for the current to tug on and then there's the obvious kelp thing.
This thread is about reducing anxiety in onlookers that see you on the surface, but... since you bring it up... I tow a flag through jumbled pilings and rubble, low vis, high winds and with ignorant boaters overhead in one of the country's busiest lakes routinely. Even so, if towing isn't feasible, (kelp, for example) then having a flag at the site as a descent/ascent point is.
To borrow a line from COMSEVENTHFLEET, "Your excuses are unacceptable."
And I doubt they'd get you a reduction in the fine :)
Rick

I appreciate your point, and I think I will try to find a way to attach a dive flag to my SMB just in case that does ease someone's mind at some point.

Just as an aside, here in Ontario, there is no law requiring you to float a dive flag, unless you're diving from a dive boat (in which case the boat has to fly the flag). In fact, it's against the law to float a dive flag "buoy" that interferes with boat navigation.

Flying a dive flag is fun when you're swimming with the current, but a real pain in the butt when you're swimming against it :)

I considered getting one of those fold-up flagpoles with a dive flag on the end for situations like this. However I think someone out in the water waving a red flag is more likely to concern onlookers than to calm them.

Neil

Rick Murchison:
This thread is about reducing anxiety in onlookers that see you on the surface, but... since you bring it up... I tow a flag through jumbled pilings and rubble, low vis, high winds and with ignorant boaters overhead in one of the country's busiest lakes routinely. Even so, if towing isn't feasible, (kelp, for example) then having a flag at the site as a descent/ascent point is.
To borrow a line from COMSEVENTHFLEET, "Your excuses are unacceptable."
And I doubt they'd get you a reduction in the fine :)
Rick

DeepBound:
Just as an aside, here in Ontario, there is no law requiring you to float a dive flag, unless you're diving from a dive boat (in which case the boat has to fly the flag). In fact, it's against the law to float a dive flag "buoy" that interferes with boat navigation.
Ahhhhh.... regional differences do matter. In that case I'd forego the dive flag until close to or on the surface. There is a combination dry bag/lift bag/SMB/dive flag from SubSalve available (I actually own one :) - look under Products for the "Quad Bag") that might be the best compromise to meet your needs and also help calm the nervous onlooker.
Rick

When I solo dive there is usually either no one else around (strip pits and other places that are not frequented by people) or there are people on the jon boat I am diving from. I've never had anyone say anything to me.

Although my surfacing startled a group of kids who were fishing once "Holy ----, it's a navy SEAL!" LMAO

Back
Top Bottom