Worries about Rental Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a new diver I agree with the above. (I did buy my own gear beforehand but that is bit different.)

If instructor and DMs shrug you off and say it is OK I like the idea that you offer them your malfunctioning gear to dive in and you take theirs for the dive. That should take care of the situation. Stating something like: "As a new to diving I really don't feel comfortable with this but since you say you are it sure would make me feel better if we switch. This way we will both dive with gear that we are comfortable with."

I love the idea :D, but I do make a point of not trying to irritate anyone who is in a position to effect my life support.....

Sarcasm and real criticism probably should wait till they are no longer in control of your certification or life support?

Still, I would love to see an instructor's face when you offer to swap gear with him! :rofl3:

Hence I wrote it in such a manner that should get the point across yet not alienate the instructor/shop at the same time.

They should at least talk to the shop and tell the issues (they might not be aware) and ask for different/working gear instead.

Bubbles? Just an O ring most likely so this is simple.

What?

All the training I got told me if there was any reason to not feel right about a dive, abort it. If the equipment isn't right make them fix it before proceeding. I don't think this is sending the right signal. If the o ring is bad, replace it. If the Octo is free flowing, fix it. If you don't feel right about the dive even if it is in the pool don't do it. Make them fix their equipment before you continue

The only real procedure would be to provide the manager of the center (SSI Dealer) with a written complaint. Then make it clear that the complain will be copied and forwarded to the SSI Regional HQ if no action is taken. Take photos of the defective kit, and keep written records of the specific defects, for later reference.

People complain a lot on this forum about low standards in diving tuition.... and the agencies concerned (PADI, SSI etc) are willing to take action to maintain their desired standards of service.... but it takes you the customer to inform the agencies whenever an individual instructor or center are providing a less than excellent service. If the agencies are not informed, then they are unable to take the appropriate action.

Well as for the o ring We told the shop in the morning and they said they replaced it. The tank continued to leak and at the pool the instructor replaced it one more time and disconnected the yoke from the first stage and made a comment that there was an oring missing from between the first stage and the yoke connection he put it back together and the leak was less but still leaking.

What?

All the training I got told me if there was any reason to not feel right about a dive, abort it. If the equipment isn't right make them fix it before proceeding. I don't think this is sending the right signal. If the o ring is bad, replace it. If the Octo is free flowing, fix it. If you don't feel right about the dive even if it is in the pool don't do it. Make them fix their equipment before you continue

I think this sums it up. We are taught over and over, if you don't feel comfortable about a dive then abort it. I think that applies to a pool situation too. I think it especially applies to a training dive. There's enough other things going on during training that you shouldn't have to be thinking about equipment problems. You don't have the experience yet to handle any potential problems, even if they happen at 20 feet.
My biggest problem with this dive shop is the attitude when you told them about your concerns. I would seriously consider finding some where else to take my business. Lackadaisical attitudes get people killed in this sport.

That sounds worse than usual, but rental gear is problematic.

On my first checkout dive my buddy's tank was missing an O-ring (DM fixed it)

On my first checkout dive, my regs mouthpiece was completely chewed up and impossible to keep in my mouth: I dove with my octo and got them to change it that night

On my first checkout dive, someone else in my class had a leaking gauge

On a random rental, had the mouthpiece issue again

For my AOW, someone in my class had a leak at their inflator hose (this was a different shop)

On one random rental a little while ago the o-ring had it's outside completely stripped off, it was brown and oddly shaped. I don't know enough about gear to know if this was safe, but fortunately I had my toolkit with me so just changed it to be on the safe side.

As a new diver I agree with the above. (I did buy my own gear beforehand but that is bit different.)

If instructor and DMs shrug you off and say it is OK I like the idea that you offer them your malfunctioning gear to dive in and you take theirs for the dive. That should take care of the situation. Stating something like: "As a new to diving I really don't feel comfortable with this but since you say you are it sure would make me feel better if we switch. This way we will both dive with gear that we are comfortable with."

I see this more often that I should. Many shops are on such tight margins that they cut corners with classes. They don't inspect and repair rental gear back in the shop like they should and leave it to the instructors and DMs to discover and deal with it in the field. Then the instructor/DM is in a bind, not always having the means to fix it or having spares, while feeling pressure not to hold up or cancel the class.

The shop clearly doesn't see these issues as significant or a threat to safety. And maybe they are right. Small leaks can be alarming but result in very little loss of air. But more important is the message it sends to the students. It doesn't look professional, it doesn't inspire confidence, and it teaches bad habits. Will those students now become divers who dismiss and ignore little problems until they become big problems?

But more important is the message it sends to the students. It doesn't look professional, it doesn't inspire confidence, and it teaches bad habits. Will those students now become divers who dismiss and ignore little problems until they become big problems?
That's the problem I have with all of this. The issues he's reporting aren't major but the attitude of the shop and the stress placed on new divers is a problem. I don't get it - you would think that the shop would take care of this. It is minor and easy to fix.

Let us know how it goes with the rest of your training osanties.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom