Worries about Rental Equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well as for the o ring We told the shop in the morning and they said they replaced it. The tank continued to leak and at the pool the instructor replaced it one more time and disconnected the yoke from the first stage and made a comment that there was an oring missing from between the first stage and the yoke connection he put it back together and the leak was less but still leaking.

Generally,small leaks are not a giant deal (they should be fixed though), however you just moved the bar up a notch with removing the yoke.. on most regulators you need either a special wrench or just a very large one to remove the yoke..and if you have that, the odds are you have the o-rings to correct the issue.

It does raise the issue of what else might be wrong, sends the wrong message and puts the student in a terrible position of having to choose between what you are being told and what you think is right... regarding life support equipment. It also leads to one being unduly worried during a dive.

Just so you know, tank o-rings leak all the time... and sometimes (not often) they also get extruded out..and that little leak goes to a huge giant leak. You kind of want to avoid that. The yoke missing an o-ring just leaks.

The octo leaking, if it is just an adjustment, is a very quick fix.. if it is a worn out seat, then it needs to be rebuilt... problem is.. you have no way of knowing which it is.

A reasonable answer to either would have been to use the gear in the pool and have it fixed for the next use.

That's the problem I have with all of this. The issues he's reporting aren't major but the attitude of the shop and the stress placed on new divers is a problem. I don't get it - you would think that the shop would take care of this. It is minor and easy to fix.

Let us know how it goes with the rest of your training osanties.
I went back recently to the shop to return our rental gear which I found weird that I had to return it only to have to pick it up again on friday. But I had sent a regulator that belongs to my brother to fix by the same shop and it has literally taken the guy almost 3 weeks to fix. I asked about it when I returned the gear and he whined about he was the only one in the shop and how he was the only one working the shop and he was trying his best to finish it on time. Because my diving buddy wants to use it before our checkout dives. Does it usually take this long for a regulator to get fixed because it was a small thing to fix....I can't wait to get certified so I can get my gear else where.

I went back recently to the shop to return our rental gear which I found weird that I had to return it only to have to pick it up again on friday. But I had sent a regulator that belongs to my brother to fix by the same shop and it has literally taken the guy almost 3 weeks to fix. I asked about it when I returned the gear and he whined about he was the only one in the shop and how he was the only one working the shop and he was trying his best to finish it on time. Because my diving buddy wants to use it before our checkout dives. Does it usually take this long for a regulator to get fixed because it was a small thing to fix....I can't wait to get certified so I can get my gear else where.

I usually get my gear serviced every year, while I wait, but I don't think that is normal.

Three weeks is way to long to not even started on it....something is a bit off with the place.

Its hard to say. If the shop has a big backlog of servicing to do, then its possible that it would take that long or longer, but I would expect the shop to tell me that it will take so long to do when I take the reg in. If they are not that busy that its probably to long and they need to step it up and get it fixed.

Back
Top Bottom