Worst instructor ever, please help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Is there seagull emoticon on SB?

This was for a NAUI Basic Open Water certification?

Report him to NAUI and express your concerns. This shouldn't go unnoticed. Discover Scuba or not, this isn't right; it's sickening in fact.
To put it harshly though, even if he doesn't give you a card because he somehow found out you reported him, you should really retake a cert class and get it right before you get a card. It would be best in interest of your safety.

In any case if NAUI takes action and suspends his instructor rating, I don't think you'll get your card anyway.

But in any case once again, even if you do get your card, I would suggest taking a refresher course at the very least. I would strongly suggest rereading your materials and taking a full class with pool sessions so you can practice and become efficient at your basic skills.
It sounds to me that your also didn't cover your skin and rescue skills which is required of a NAUI Basic OW course.

I'm not familiar with NAUI's online course, but I think that you still need 5 ocean dives to get your OW card (one of which being a skin dive).
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with quero.
This sounds like a discover scuba or something like that.
Did you have to buy any materials or take any classes?
I had my wife do a discover scuba before going for here OW. She also had a issue, but the instructed was great. If it wasn't for him she probably would of quit right there. Now she dives with me in cold Monterey California waters in a wet suit no problems. Find a good instructor, and talk to them before you sign up for your next classes. I am sure you will find the vast majority of them will bend over backwards to help you. Then take a proper course before you go any further.

Oh and get your money back from the jack***.
And good luck luck in the future.

Whether it was a course or discover scuba, 1 instructor to 15 students is a break of ratios. This isn't in line with NAUI standards.

This was for a NAUI Basic Open Water certification?

Report him to NAUI and express your concerns. This shouldn't go unnoticed. Discover Scuba or not, this isn't right; it's sickening in fact.
To put it harshly though, even if he doesn't give you a card because he somehow found out you reported him, you should really retake a cert class and get it right before you get a card. It would be best in interest of your safety.

In any case if NAUI takes action and suspends his instructor rating, I don't think you'll get your card anyway.

But in any case once again, even if you do get your card, I would suggest taking a refresher course at the very least. I would strongly suggest rereading your materials and taking a full class with pool sessions so you can practice and become efficient at your basic skills.
It sounds to me that your also didn't cover your skin and rescue skills which is required of a NAUI Basic OW course.

I'm not familiar with NAUI's online course, but I think that you still need 5 ocean dives to get your OW card (one of which being a skin dive).
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I agree with you 100% i paid for this class because I wanted to learn. This was NOT discover scuba. I would like to get my license from him and just pay for a refresher course at a different store.

---------- Post Merged at 12:05 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:01 AM ----------

I agree with quero.
This sounds like a discover scuba or something like that.
Did you have to buy any materials or take any classes?
I had my wife do a discover scuba before going for here OW. She also had a issue, but the instructed was great. If it wasn't for him she probably would of quit right there. Now she dives with me in cold Monterey California waters in a wet suit no problems. Find a good instructor, and talk to them before you sign up for your next classes. I am sure you will find the vast majority of them will bend over backwards to help you. Then take a proper course before you go any further.

Oh and get your money back from the jack***.
And good luck luck in the future.

Thank you those words do mean alot

I agree with you 100% i paid for this class because I wanted to learn. This was NOT discover scuba. I would like to get my license from him and just pay for a refresher course at a different store.

I honestly wouldn't want his name on my card. See what NAUI HQ says and what action they take. I wouldn't ask for a refund yet; things could get worse if you do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom