Worst instructor ever, please help.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, as far as advise - based on the wild original post, you have received no training so I'd suggest finding a reputable instructor and starting over from the beginning - and do the whole course: classroom, pool training, and 4 OW certification dives.

I read on one of your other posts somewhere that you did the classroom, but left before reviewing your written test results, so don't skip any of that. Do it all...

Well, as far as advise - based on the wild original post, you have received no training so I'd suggest finding a reputable instructor and starting over from the beginning - and do the whole course: classroom, pool training, and 4 OW certification dives.

I read on one of your other posts somewhere that you did the classroom, but left before reviewing your written test results, so don't skip any of that. Do it all...

Understood. I have already found another school and will be starting again from the begining,I deletd the Original post for fear that he may see it and not give me a refund,ill be going there tomorrow to get my money back and will gladly post his store and #ID I just looked at the stores google reviews and apparently they have had more problems with this man than just teaching.tank fills,not giving out licenses,bad reg checks ect.

I still think there must be some misunderstanding. Could it be (red text my edits)?

his schedule is this

1 8 hour classroom
DAYCONFINED + OPEN WATER
1 DAY OPEN WATER
Was your course a $99 special? I ask because when a course is very cheap (such as $99), several things typically happen:

1) Class sizes are generally very, very large in order to pay all the expenses on a practically non-existent profit margin.

2) Classroom sessions cannot provide much individualized attention or explanation or discussion since the instructor's attention is divided amongst many students.

3) In-water skills-development time is very brief in order to make the course shorter in duration (so another group can be scheduled to begin sooner).

4) Dives that are done on a rotating basis (some students in the water, some waiting their turn to enter the water so that ratios are not exceeded) have to be very short in order to finish at a reasonable hour in the day, so there's not a lot of practice time.

5) Courses are often scheduled so that one day is dedicated to classroom work, half a day is dedicated to confined water training followed by one or two open water dives in the second half of the day, and a second day is given to three additional open water dives to complete the work.

If in fact your course was a "$99 special" and was conducted something like the way I described, you merely got what you paid for. While it's never okay for an instructor to violate training standards (such as leaving students unattended in the water), it is very naive to expect excellence when you don't pay for it, even when the instructor meets all standards.

No matter how much you paid, I doubt you'll get a refund of any sort. Some mistakes are costly.

I did fellow this thread, but don't know why OP had to remove the original post.

First, find out if you are even in the right class. Many of us has good point here. You didn't seem attending the right class. And the instructor and the dive ship deserve to be named here. It is meant for nothing else but help potential student to avoid this instructor/shop.

It is hard to tell what the whole story is but honestly this sounds like the OP was part of the new NAUI Tandem Diver Experience. Without the initial post it is really hard to determine that.. The program does allow for one on one diving with an instructor to a depth of 40 feet, at the conclusion of the experience they may get a "certificate of completion". It is really just "been there, done that" paper to show they did it, does not imply any type of certification.

It is hard to tell what the whole story is but honestly this sounds like the OP was part of the new NAUI Tandem Diver Experience. Without the initial post it is really hard to determine that.. The program does allow for one on one diving with an instructor to a depth of 40 feet, at the conclusion of the experience they may get a "certificate of completion". It is really just "been there, done that" paper to show they did it, does not imply any type of certification.
I tend to doubt it ... the OP indicated there were 15 students in the water at a time. The Tandem Diving Program only allows a one-to-one participant to instructor ratio. In other words, it's private instruction ... meant as a "premium" try-dive experience ... not a shortcut for instructors who want to put large numbers through a class at a time.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The number of students I am curious about. Where they in water, but on the surface? Just not enough info to really speculate.

I still think there must be some misunderstanding. Could it be (red text my edits)?

Was your course a $99 special? I ask because when a course is very cheap (such as $99), several things typically happen:

1) Class sizes are generally very, very large in order to pay all the expenses on a practically non-existent profit margin.

2) Classroom sessions cannot provide much individualized attention or explanation or discussion since the instructor's attention is divided amongst many students.

3) In-water skills-development time is very brief in order to make the course shorter in duration (so another group can be scheduled to begin sooner).

4) Dives that are done on a rotating basis (some students in the water, some waiting their turn to enter the water so that ratios are not exceeded) have to be very short in order to finish at a reasonable hour in the day, so there's not a lot of practice time.

5) Courses are often scheduled so that one day is dedicated to classroom work, half a day is dedicated to confined water training followed by one or two open water dives in the second half of the day, and a second day is given to three additional open water dives to complete the work.

If in fact your course was a "$99 special" and was conducted something like the way I described, you merely got what you paid for. While it's never okay for an instructor to violate training standards (such as leaving students unattended in the water), it is very naive to expect excellence when you don't pay for it, even when the instructor meets all standards.

No matter how much you paid, I doubt you'll get a refund of any sort. Some mistakes are costly.
It was indeed a 99 dollar special guess I learned my lesson not to take the cheap route in diving

I'm not saying you didn't experience what you explained - after all, it's *your* experience.
But what you describe is so far beyond the pale that it seems to me that if 15 students had the same experience the lines to the agency would be smoking. Hopefully another one of the students will discover Scubaboard and we can get their perspective too.
In the meantime, pound on the instructor's agency until you get satisfaction!
Nd

The OP has been very selective as to which posts he/she responds. It makes me question whether significant details were omitted in the post.

Back
Top Bottom