Worth Freezing Your Butt Off?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freedive suit material is so flexible that it doesn't make that much difference to restricted movement. I freedive with a 2-piece 7mm, thus 14mm at the torso. Being cold will significantly reduce your breath holding performance. The downside is suit compression is a problem. I need 10Kg/22 Lbs to be neutral at 10M/33' so it takes more work to get to 10M and more to swim back to 10M. The ride up from there is pretty easy.

I agree with @northernone, being cold has a lot more risk issues than discomfort. I prioritize thermal protection a lot higher than regulators and computers in my equipment budget.

I've had hypothermia a few times over the years. Once I went in the water to help a guy right a capsized catamaran and by the time we got it to the beach we were both in tough shape. The short answer is I've been really cold too many times to want to do it on purpose for fun. I have a really good drysuit, Waterproof D-1, for that reason.

On numerous dives over the years I have had shivering. I know this is the first step to hypothermia. I asses my distance from shore and don't stay in the water a whole lot longer.

Quite simple you see.. just light a fire and you will be warm lol
FB_IMG_1537825920568.jpg

Neither am I, and sometimes you just have to pay. When the water is in the 40's and air is colder and the breeze is up, I never wonder why there are only a few divers out on the North Coast.

Bob
It’s a natural filter. The conditions, temps, access, services, etc. are all to our benefit because it keeps people away and we have it all to ourselves. That’s what makes it so nice.

Yesterday, I taught the first day of a PSAI Level 1 freediving course in Alexandria Bay, NY. Freediving usually requires a lot of water time, so I prefer doing classes in warmer water rather than the mid to upper 60's
we have here in the 1000 Islands this last week of September.

I've been wearing my 3mm wetsuit despite the cooler temperatures knowing I had this course coming up. I prefer thinner, lighter suits when freediving and I didn't want to wear a 5mm wetsuit or a drysuit and get spoiled only to have a miserable two days feeling the chill.

All I wanted to do was go back to my place after a day in the water, make some Stouffer's French Bread Pizza in the oven, crawl under the covers, and turn on Turner Classic Movies. Instead, one of my wreck penetration students had returned to the river to dive and invited me out to dinner with him and his wife. I'm glad I went. I enjoyed meeting my friend's wife and we had a nice time. Just as I was leaving the restaurant, I received a text from a dive shop owner who was running a night dive and suggested I stop by to say hello. I figured I should because I had been working at the shop earlier in the season before I felt the need to just go back to being, more or less, and independent instructor. I want to keep a good relationship with all my friends who own dive shops on both sides of the border in the USA and Canada and help them out with tech, cave and freediving courses and instructor development when needed.

Anyway, I went by for some face time with the gang only to discover the dive pros were in the process illuminating a 125 foot long shipwreck with special effects causing it to glow a ghostly and eerie green 25 to 50 feet below. The last thing I wanted to do was get in the water again. The air temperature was 54°F and little bit breezy. The water temperature had been something like 67°F or 68°F. But, I cowboyed up and made myself don my wet 3mm O'Neill that had been chilling nicely in the open bed of my pickup truck. I slipped into my long blade Picasso Black Team fins and entered the nocturnal water in front of Boldt Castle just after a walking ghost tour had been hearing about the 2 or 3 local ghosts people supposedly captured through photography. One of the DM's who is a tech student of mine handed me a Halcyon backup light so I wouldn't run into any hazards while freediving.

I watched them go about the business of decorating the Islander wreck, turning the popular entry level shore dive into the stuff of fantasy. The dive pros were also smart enough to highlight some hazardous pilings and such that jutted toward the surface and could have caused injury -- especially to me. After an hour or so, the pro staff was done and the wreck was a living wraith, like the sister ship of the Flying Dutchman rising from the depths crewed by goblins, ghosts, and ghouls. I gave the light back to the DM and spent a long while freediving with the faint spooky haze to show me the way. As I ventured closer, the wreck became more inviting like the galaxy dive at Ginnie Springs meeting a fireworks display. It was like clubbing in NYC with bass, pumpkinseeds, and other fish. Disney would love this! I'm not liberty to disclose the tricks they used to create this amazing dive site. The shop owner wants to keep it proprietary and something you can only experience at St. Lawrence Scuba Co., for now. But, it was fantastic! In 37 years of diving, it was probably one of the top coolest underwater attractions and probably the best freediving of my life.

Totally worth the chattering teeth. Only my core temperature screamed after spending so much of the day in the cool, yet freaking cool water.

What was worth freezing your butt off to see?

Bergen (Norway) 2011 - magicaloceans

The Tyrifjord at Askvoll. You don’t need to be cold and it is like the Disney idea of a wreck to begin with. It was covered in little sea squirts (much more so than in the linked picture) when I dived it and they highlighted things nicely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom