Worth getting a solo card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello All,
In regards to the PADI Self-Reliant cert, TDI/SDI classifies it as equal to SDI Solo and SSI Independent. PADI does also. I admit, the self-reliant cert does carry a stigma--a stigma that is perpetuated by people who won't read PADI's course description or outline. The SDI is a better card, only because the SR card has a negative and undeserved rep.
From SDI about SSI and PADI solo certifications:
Scuba Diver Course Comparison of SDI, PADI and SSI | SDI | TDI | ERDI

Readers are leaders: Self Reliant and SSI Independent Diver are solo certs.

markm

My SDI solo course consisted primarily of a couple of dives during which consisted me of shooting a lift bag and untangling myself from coils of string wrapped around me by the DM. The book material was helpful but overall the training part was fairly useless.

The card itself has proven itself useful when I've dived solo but could not have done so if I didn't produce the card- primarily in the Florida Keys.

Hello rek_diver:

I had an excellent instructor for my solo cert course. He taught me things way beyond what the course outline detailed. He led and taught by example. Watching him dive was instructional. I did a Tech 40 course with him as my instructor so I could listen and watch more. I am a better diver because of the training, but mostly because I am trying to emulate him! Training by osmosis does work.

Rick R. is the best!
markm

For those curious about the content of solo course I'll share my experience. I took a solo class from an instructor being supervised by a course director. The course director had written a portion of the curriculum. In addition to reading (no lecture) and a written test the course consisted of 1) Timed surface swim, 2) DSMB deployment while maintaining position in the water, 3) Determination of SAC/RMV at depth, 4) Maskless swim following a line, 5) Demonstration of compass navigation, 6) Switch to backup air supply, 7) Simulate management of free flowing regulator, stuck inflator. Many of these skills are also found in Adv Nitrox/Deco, Extended Range, etc. where dive buddies are the norm. I thought it was a good course and good value.

I had a little "twist" in that I had already done (NAUI) MSD, Advanced Nitrox, Technical Decompression, and (TDI/SDI) Ice Diver, but found it beneficial to continue to progress the mindset and the configuration rationale. As usual, it is the instructor, not specifically the Agency or Certification Level that really makes it what it is.

Knowledge and education never hurts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom