• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Worth pursuing AOW?

Discussion in 'New Divers and Those Considering Diving' started by Orestis82, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Griffo

Griffo DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I'm not entirely sure what my view is on this topic. On one hand, when I lived in Melbourne, I needed certain certs to even get on the boat. But they required full certs, the "adventure dives" as part of PADI AOW didn't qualify, but a full deep / wreck / night etc cert did. So if you were local to here, i'd tell you to get the full certs and work up to AOW that way.

On the other hand, we are also travelling divers, and have often run into the "you need to have AOW to do this dive" up-front requirement from the LDS. While I have it, the wife only has OW and Fundies. Yet we've also never failed to get them to waive the requirement on the wife after they've seen her in-water. But i can see the attraction of the short-cut AOW cert to let you do certain dives without question.

2. AfterDark

AfterDark Solo Diver

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Staying within NDL on air, nitrox or trimix is the surest way to avoid DCS. If a diver hits 500 psi 10 minutes before their NDL, lets say what good is nitrox going to do other than on multi-dives per day for several days? You can disagree all you like. It doesn't make what I posted untrue.

3. Foothills

Foothills Angel Fish

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    There are benefits to taking courses from your LDS that aren't always related to the course content. I found the AOW course to be very useful, as I took it after completing my OW dives in Cozumel. AOW gave me the chance to get introduced to (1) cold water gear & cold water, (2) two local dive sites, and (3) some other local divers. It was over 2 decades ago, so I can't recall if there was much in the way of "new" skills being taught, but I did learn about altitude adjustments, managing a 36 lb weight belt, and relearned buoyancy in a 2 piece 7 mm wetsuit vs a 3 mm shorty.

4. TMHeimer

TMHeimer Divemaster

Good points. Other than the altitude stuff, I would think the rest you mention could be done without a ton of guidance.

5. American Digger In Europe

American Digger In Europe Angel Fish

Let me preface this by saying that I'm a new OW Instructor. SSI has recently "recommended" that all OWD students be taught from the dive position. I agree with you that this is better protocol.

chillyinCanada likes this.
  6. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

Please don't take my question as an attack. If I can help you teach better, I will. But I do recognize that there are always better ways, so I could learn from you. I woudln't adopt immediately what may sound good. I'd evaluate it first, and if it works better (basically gets me closer to the weight determined at the safety stop with no gas in the BCD/dry suit, then I'll drop my way like a bad habit).

I know people often pile on new folks here on ScubaBoard, but I give you my word, this is not what I'm doing here.

7. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor, Scuba

Okay, money maker with practically no benefit to the customer. Does "rip off" work better for you?

8. oh2btru

oh2btru Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Only if you get new insurance or renew or upgrade. Most insurance companies have a 2 year period from the application date to review your hobbies . If you get an insurance policy and you’ve had it for five years and you decide to start scuba diving they probably will not make an exception unless you’re up for renewal. Just saying

Johnoly and mcohen1021 like this.
  9. mcohen1021

mcohen1021 Manta Ray

# of Dives: 1,000 - 2,499
    Can't say for sure what they do now, just that was my previous experience when I got a term life policy when my kiddo was born.

10. American Digger In Europe

American Digger In Europe Angel Fish

No worries!