Worth the price difference??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

domino22

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok Sony vs Cannon. Is the Cannon GLS1 that much better than the Sony VX-2100???

I hoped I would have at least one person respond! Is it worth the price difference?

domino22:
I hoped I would have at least one person respond! Is it worth the price difference?

Is your Canon model number correct ? They have a GL2, an XL1S, and an XL2 listed on their website.

What kind of price difference are you talking about ?

What housing choices are you considering ?

If you are spending that much money, consider the camcorder and housing as one, then compare price, performance, etc..

Niether is better, just different. Sonys have great low light visabililty. I've owned a VX-2000 for about 3 years. What is your application, fun movies, professional videography? Either way I'm sure you will be happy with both cameras. Until you move up into the $5k+ market the differences are minimal. Housings may be more of a consern than the camera features. Also consider how much each camera will weigh once you have it in a housing. The VX2000 with an Ikelight housing is getting close to 25lbs. My friend owns a GL1 and rarely takes it out anymore due to the weight and the fact that we mostly beach dive. If you are planning on using it only on boat dives this may not be much of an issue for you.

If I was in the market for an underwater video camera and did not need to use it professionaly or plan to get heavy into UW video, I would look at a single chip Canon or Sony. The housings are light, cheap and when you flood it you won't feel as bad.

domino22:
Ok Sony vs Cannon. Is the Cannon GLS1 that much better than the Sony VX-2100???

I'm no expert, just someone who is also shoping. Here's what I think

Possably a typo above but it dosn't matter. I think you should look at the total package with housings. Look at the controls, weight and size of each as you would be using it. What may make the deal is if your preferred housing is not available for the Canon

I meant the Cannon XL1S and leaning towards a Gates housing. I was looking for "broadcast quality". Mainly use U/W.

domino22:
I meant the Cannon XL1S and leaning towards a Gates housing. I was looking for "broadcast quality". Mainly use U/W.

Why don't you wait for Gates to come out with the housing for the Sony HD camcorder ? I believe they are estimating release in Feb. 2005.

ronrosa:
Why don't you wait for Gates to come out with the housing for the Sony HD camcorder ? I believe they are estimating release in Feb. 2005.
That one does not do 24 frame per sec or I think it was 16:9. It got hammered on some other video chat rooms real BAD. But I understand your post and thanks. I am willing to drop some bucks here but I am doing more research on this than I would when I buy a new vehicle. I am worried of going to cheap and then being disapointed later. Also from those I talked to on dive boats and other places most all agree that the newer 3CCD camcorders were alot better than the one chip if you looked at them side by side which I have not. As for the HD I would have to buy a new TV to enjoy it. But may have to go that way and as soon as I do something else comes out. You know I was there for the 8 track then the cassette and look at us now!

domino22:
As for the HD I would have to buy a new TV to enjoy it. But may have to go that way and as soon as I do something else comes out. You know I was there for the 8 track then the cassette and look at us now!

You don't have to keep getting the next best camera, Not any more at least. Mini-DV
is finally good enough that most people can't notice any improvment over it. It was not always thatway. comsumer level video was "junk" just a few years ago

You are absolutly right about the better image from a 3CCD camera. A used VX1000 will still do profession level work and out perform current model one chip DV camera

But you will not need a better TV to see the quality of an HD camera. What HD allows you is more post production options. If you are going to do color corection or compositing operations like rotate and crop. It's good to be able to re-level the horizon or do a mild crop and still have DVD quality. The trouble is that the sky is the limit once you go HD.Systems sell for well over $100K or double that.

For most of use however visabilty and operator skill limit the final result. There is also the issue of size. A little Sony PC350 may get taken on more dives than a housed VX2100.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom