Worth to pay premium for updated Sea & Sea YS-D2J

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MrTW

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi there,

Wondering if anyone already has any experience with the updated YS-D2J units (new Japanese made vs old model China made)?

I'm ready to purchase an additional/second strobe but unsure if the premium of about $100+ is really worth it and issues truly have been rectified now.

It appears that the new J units resolved the overheating issues on the old model. If that's the case, it might be a good invest to prolong overall lifecycle of the strobe, not to mention the frustration of a malfunction during a trip.

Thanks for any feedback.

I have the YS-D2 that’s black, non-Japan model and haven’t had any issues. I was told to not use Eneloop pro in them and just use the white regular ones. Interesting...will have to google.

I have the YS-D2 that’s black, non-Japan model and haven’t had any issues. I was told to not use Eneloop pro in them and just use the white regular ones. Interesting...will have to google.

Don't see how that would make any difference at all. The Pro has a bit more capacity but the amp draw capability is essentially identical. I can see if a high amp draw capable battery could be an issue IF the strobe had problems with overheating during fast recharging or similar. But, that would still be a strobe defect.

It is clear that S&S went to Japanese manufacturing for a reason and it wasn't to save money. The Chinese versions have had horrible reliability issues at least for some people. I have several of the YS-D1 strobes made in Japan and other than firmware issues they have all been fine. As for the eneloop pro batteries I am not a big fan, and it is not only heating that is the issue but hydrogen discharge upon fast discharge. I will trade long life multi-cycle regular eneloops for the slightly higher capacity any day.

Cheers

Bill

Don't see how that would make any difference at all. The Pro has a bit more capacity but the amp draw capability is essentially identical. I can see if a high amp draw capable battery could be an issue IF the strobe had problems with overheating during fast recharging or similar. But, that would still be a strobe defect.

I don’t know enough about batteries or the ins and outs to comment on this. I am just doing what I have been told from a few folks, mainly the employees at Backscatter in Monterey. I am also reporting I haven’t had any issues...But we’ll find out soon enough. I’ve only had 28 dives on them. I have 58 more scheduled in mid April to early May, then another 45 in September and a few in between those. It sounds like @bvanant knows way more than I do on the battery front. :)

Back
Top Bottom