Worthwhile Flying to Cairns for a Day of Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am based in Cairns and also agree its a long way to come for a day or 2s diving. Plenty of great sites in Victoria and its a lot more accessible too.

If you were both divers would be a different story.

Don't be surprised to see water temperature of around 10 or 11 degrees Celsius in August, but with the right wet suit it should not be a big problem.

That's similar to here in Vancouver, but most people around here dive drysuits locally. Not sure if anyone rents drysuits in Melbourne (and my buoyancy control in a drysuit is horrible). I've never used a thick wetsuit before.

Again, thank you for so much helpful advice! I'm looking forward to the trip and will plan a dive or two if I can...

You['ll probably pay something well in excess of $300 for a day of boat diving from Cairns, and you won't see the best of the Great Barrier Reef. I'd say don't do it.

Just a short, largely useless, follow-up, as I just got back from Melbourne: between a packed work schedule, a shoulder injury, and a hernia :-(, I didn't get to dive at all. But, I have to say, Melbourne was BEAUTIFUL, and the locals were all so amazingly friendly and helpful. I have to come back some day and search for sea dragons.

Again, a big thank you to everyone for your help!

Melbourne is a nice city to visit. It reminds me of San Francisco, but not as hilly & as cold as San Francisco.

Seymour Fisch.

If you ever find yourself back in Melbourne I would be more than happy to help you find some sea dragons..

Melbourne diving.. one of Australia's best kept secrets...

Dive safe

Nath

Back
Top Bottom