Worthy upgrade to A6000 kit + Meikon Housing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdevic

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been using my $299 fire sale EOS M + 18-55mm kit lens + Meikon housing + YS03 single strobe + Canon 90EX for a while for my diving trips. While I can get some decent sharp shots with proper lighting and focus (see example), the AF on EOS M is extremely frustrating and most shots are blurry underwater. Also, I have to leave the Canon 90EX and EOS M turned on the whole time, because 90EX won't wake up with the body once it is turned off and there is no way to turn it back on underwater. I have to change the flash battery on the boat after each dive and it often causes condensation for subsequent dives.

I initially looked at a proper housing for my 5D Mark II - but it is hard to justify the $$ for an aging full frame and the focus on 5D Mark II is not good, either.

I tried Sony RX100 V last week and I did not like the image quality for the price.

I noticed I can get sony a6000 kit + meikon housing for under $800 - I like that it has a built-in flash and the IQ and AF should be decent. Do you think it is a worthy upgrade for my current set up? Or should I get a6300 instead? I do not plan to invest in E mount lens - at most I might buy a wet dome.

Thank you very much!

decided to go for A6300 + new Meikon SeaFrog A6xxx housing. Fingers crossed it is worth it.

I've been using my $299 fire sale EOS M + 18-55mm kit lens + Meikon housing + YS03 single strobe + Canon 90EX for a while for my diving trips. While I can get some decent sharp shots with proper lighting and focus (see example), the AF on EOS M is extremely frustrating and most shots are blurry underwater. Also, I have to leave the Canon 90EX and EOS M turned on the whole time, because 90EX won't wake up with the body once it is turned off and there is no way to turn it back on underwater. I have to change the flash battery on the boat after each dive and it often causes condensation for subsequent dives.

I initially looked at a proper housing for my 5D Mark II - but it is hard to justify the $$ for an aging full frame and the focus on 5D Mark II is not good, either.

I tried Sony RX100 V last week and I did not like the image quality for the price.

I noticed I can get sony a6000 kit + meikon housing for under $800 - I like that it has a built-in flash and the IQ and AF should be decent. Do you think it is a worthy upgrade for my current set up? Or should I get a6300 instead? I do not plan to invest in E mount lens - at most I might buy a wet dome.

Thank you very much!

I have an Rx100m1, an a6300, and an a7rii. I haven't used the a6000 or EOS M, but you mention AF shortcomings twice as well as new housings for old cameras. The a6000 is getting really long in the tooth, itself. (Sony keeps old models around a long time and moves them down market.) There are other considerations, but the big improvement with the a6300 over the a6000 is the AF. Since you mention that twice, you might not be happy with an a6000. Maybe you could try one in the store. If it's at all possible, also try the lenses you plan to use to ensure they meet your expectations. Sony's better glass is full frame, which mounts on the a6xxx cameras but may not fit in your housing. A used case for your 5D might be an affordable route. Good luck.

Took the new A6300 + Seafrog housing to Cozumel last week for 4 dives. I was really impressed by the much improved AF on a6300. However, I did notice that the optical quality of the kit lens is not that great. While the center is sharp, the corners are horrible compared to Canon EOS M kit lens. I was mainly shooting at f5.6 and some f8 - they are not much better than wide open.
https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4338/36245362502_cf1cee2f73_o_d.jpg
I ordered a sony 30mm macro and hope it is better than the kit lens.
For general purpose underwater, should I also get a sigma 19mm for wide or sony 35mm f1.8 for wider aperture and OSS?

Last edited:
FYI, my photo experience is mostly above water. That said, as much as I value having image stabilization, in general, it seems less important under water. OSS can dampen tiny hand movements, but it does nothing to help the blur you get from drifting/floating nor does it help freeze anything in your frame that's moving. In other words, most of the time you're going to have to increase shutter speed enough to stop motion, and at that point OSS does nothing for you at all. Stabilization is most useful for shooting static subjects handheld in low light. If you want your camera and lens to do that sort if photography for you in addition to underwater stuff, then prioritize OSS.

Sony has made a strategic decision to focus on full frame photography, at least for the foreseeable. The quality in their APS-C lineup is often lacking, and Sony hasn't even brought forth a new crop lens in years. The 16-50 kit lens isn't so great, which is a shame because it's the lowest common denominator for underwater housings.

Fair disclosure: I'm a pretty harsh critic when it comes to photography gear - a lot of people are perfectly happy with that kit lens, and it's probably the only lens most people ever even buy. But, when you're noticing that a lens isn't cutting it, as you remarked, you're chasing an above normal image quality, and the kit lens won't get you there. Part of the problem is that sensor technology has outpaced lens production technology -- especially with Sony because their sensors are stellar. Part of the problem is that Sony is only putting their best efforts into full frame. And, part of the problem seems to be Sony's own difficulty in making good glass with low production variances. Be wary of chasing lens quality, though. There is no bottom to the lens quality rabbit hole. I only have a couple of lenses that cost under US$1K, and a lot of people are way farther down the hole than I am. (My good gear stays on land.) I only mention that because what it takes for a lens to look good to me may be above and beyond the call for you. I've pretty much abandoned APS-C e-mount glass.

If your lens is 'really-OMG-bad' you might have a bad copy (or damaged). It's hard to test well unless you've tested a lot or have another copy to compare, side by side under controlled circumstances. I don't own it, but F8 should be about optimum on that 16-50 for across-the-frame sharpness.

Sony APS-C lens ideas (without getting stratospheric): Understand that individual copies of lenses aren't identical, like we consumers have come to expect in almost everything else. There's a lot of copy variation. Read up on how to test lenses and decide how far you want to take it. You can save money buying used, but know that there are more used lemons, too.

A lot of people like the 35/1.8. The copy I tried sucked. Badly. Try the 35 Sigma. No OSS but sharper. (Same for the Sigma 60, but I'd rather have the FE55 if it fits in the housing.) No personal experience with the 30M you mentioned, but I think I'd want something longer. Please post how it goes. The best macro is the 90/2.8, and a lot of 6300 housings take it, even though it's full frame. The Sigma 19 might be worth trying because you should skip Sony's 20 and 16 altogether. No personal experience with the 19, though. The Sony 24Z is terrific - one of the best APS-C lenses for Sony's or any other crop body platform. Priced like it. Not sure many housings accept it. For wide, I had a lot of fun with the 10-18, and many underwater housings take it. Primes almost always make better images than zooms, but still this is a great lens for the APS-C platform. (Try to get it to f8 (5.6 will do) and avoid the long end.) The Zeiss Touit line is good, overall; just overpriced. Probably lower copy variance. The Sony 16-70 is a little better than the kit lens you have, but there's a huge copy variance problem, and even then it's fairly worth half the price they charge new. I can't recommend it as a solution, really, and few housings take it, anyway.

This has grown long, so I'll stop there, for now. :)

Last edited:
Note that according to manufacturer, the SeaFrogs A6xxx housing is compatible with the following lenses:
  • Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
  • Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro
  • Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
  • Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens
  • Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN Art
  • Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN
Therefore, 90mm macro, 10-18mm, 24Z, etc, are not an option without shelling out the big bucks for Nauticam et al.

Thank you guys. Yes, because of the size of the housing, my lens selection is also limited. I initially thought about sigma 35mm f1.4 which gets great reviews but unfortunately it is too long. I will give the 30mm macro a shot and see how it goes. I definitely also want a faster lens, and sony 35mm f1.8 might be the best option out of the bunch. I wonder, however, 35mm might not be wide enough for big fish on a crop sensor...I hope sigma makes a 19mm f1.8...:p

Note that according to manufacturer, the SeaFrogs A6xxx housing is compatible with the following lenses:
  • Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
  • Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro
  • Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
  • Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA Lens
  • Sigma 19mm F2.8 DN Art
  • Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN
Therefore, 90mm macro, 10-18mm, 24Z, etc, are not an option without shelling out the big bucks for Nauticam et al.

Yeah, I hear you, but if you're not happy with the image quality, switching housings has to be on the table. Also, another reader might not have that housing limitation or want to know to avoid a particular housing because it doesn't take a preferred lens. Plus, housings manufacturers develop new ports over time (seems like I recall this housing has a fixed port, which is a bummer; but hey, the price is right). Another thought is that there may be lenses that technically fit but are simply untested and not officially supported, or maybe vignette a tolerable bit, or maybe just can't manual focus - but still they do fit and do work.

@jdevic 35 is equivalent to 53mm in full frame - it's nothing like wide. And, that's before you factor in underwater refraction. To get wide within the list cited by @Barmaglot I think you're going to need to screw on a wide adapter using the (thankfully present) 67mm front threads. A common solution. You'll have to look into which lenses work best with which wide adapters. A magnification diopter in front of a non macro lens may be your best macro option if the 30M doesn't work out. (Edit: If there's room in housing, an extension tube might be better.)

Since the FE35 is on that list I'll mention that it's a great lens. The problem is that it's one of those Sony lenses with especially large production variance (and there are a lot of used lemons out there). If you can find a good one, it's the best glass on that list, but you could buy and return several copies before you get a good one. Don't worry about it being f2. 8 - it's atypically good wide open whereas you'll have to stop down the others, well past f2.8. Otherwise, just get the much cheaper Sigma (no info on the relative variance of the Sigma).

Welcome to the rabbit hole... :wink:

Last edited:
I see several potential problems with FE35, besides the cost and variable quality. As you mention, the 53mm equivalent is nothing like wide-angle - but mounting a wide-angle adapter is liable to degrade the image quality that you're chasing, or worse, it might vignette the image, and it still won't produce as wide a field of view as the 16-50mm lens with the same adapter. Also, the high-end ones, like Nauticam's WWL-1, cost more than a thousand dollars by themselves. If you're going down the $$$$$ route, might as well spend the money on a housing with a proper port system and SEL1018 or another fisheye.

Me, I'm satisfied by the quality offered by the 16-50mm lens with Meikon's wet dome that I can put on and take off without leaving the water. I understand wanting more if you're doing this for a living, but as an amateur vacation diver, I'd rather spend the money on more dives :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom