Would anyone like to dive Devil's Throat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Like 22 feet over the Nitrox 32% MOD and a PO2 of 1.63 - well outside of the training recommendations and not something I'd want to do, let alone admit to here... though, nor is stating one dives a very conservative computer but obviously not following it's guidance?
I knew I wouldn't be the last! For the record, I did Devils Throat on 32% and lived to tell about it. I did not go into deco. Thanks to 32%.

Like 22 feet over the Nitrox 32% MOD and a PO2 of 1.63 - well outside of the training recommendations and not something I'd want to do, let alone admit to here... though, nor is stating one dives a very conservative computer but obviously not following it's guidance?
Hey Joneill. You are absolutely correct that many agencies now teach mod of 1.4 and some instructors teach it as an absolute with immediate consequences when crossed. I was actually taught 1.4 to 1.6 and the rationale for each choice. Like my instructor I choose to dive 1.5 though I rarely get near this. For this dive I only exceeded 1.5 for 2 minutes and my max of 1.6 for about 20 seconds and only that long because I kept a leisurely pace and paused to enjoy the exit to blue water.

MOD for DT has been the subject of several discussions on SB and part of some interesting threads. It might be worth doing a search on SB and reading a bit more on this.

And not sure why you said I did not follow my computer. I actually followed all its requirements and completed my deco as well as throwing in a bit more time at the safety stop. Here again there are several thoughtful and informative threads on something some times referred to as “ lite deco. “

(SB disclaimer - I do have the training and experience to make an informed choice on my dives)

The whole site, from beginning to end is a great deco dive - there's way more to that cave then just Devils Throat.

I wonder how hard it would be to get a group together to charter a boat and do it as a tech dive?

I wonder how hard it would be to get a group together to charter a boat and do it as a tech dive?

You gotta have the right group, although some boats will go with two people, I'd expect to pay a surcharge for two people to Punta Sur but then you need a shop that has DM's deco trained and willing to do it.

Deep Exposure does tech dives, I haven't dove with them yet but heard happy people there, I think they even have doubles set ups and rebreather support.

I'd always go if you're here and want to do something like that - a few locals do tech dives off and on when they get a chance too.

Just to remind you, the the Oxygen Toxicity limits are based on time dependent studies and theory. Sure you stay at 1.63 for an hour and you might convulse. On the other hand, at 1.63 for 30 seconds is not something I'd ever be worried about. But I've lived to be 73 with many short durations way past 1.63 . Not to say it is not worth consideration but to miss one of the most wonderful dive tours in Cozumel for 30 seconds of exposure make no sense to me at all.

Of course the boy scout manual may not allow that!

Dave Dillehay (retired Aldora)

Deep Exposure does tech dives, I haven't dove with them yet but heard happy people there, I think they even have doubles set ups and rebreather support.

Deep Exposure is great. We used them for a couple of tech dives in July. They have figured out how to mix tech and recreational dives on the same boat. They are also the only place that has AL40s that we have found. They handled a lot of moving parts so we could do our dives. I was sure something would go wrong. They executed the logistics perfectly. They picked us up on time at a down island dock and had all of our 9 tanks on board with the correct gasses. The only issue was one tank were the din insert had an odd size insert that could not be removed. They had a box full of adapters in front of me before I could get mine.

Lunch on the boat during the surface interval is the best food I have ever had on a non-liveaboard dive boat.

I have only done Devils Throat a few times as a short recreation dive. It would be a fantastic tec dive. Thanks for the idea for the next trip down. The Devils Throat T-shirt is one of only two dive shirts that I have ever bought. It says “Devil’s Throat - Extreme Dive” on the back. The other shirt being the blue hole arch / divers graveyard in Dahab Egypt.

I’ve done Devils Throat three times. To my mind, the Devils Throat has two non-obvious dangers:

(1) Equalization issues — You are dropping head first about 50 feet down a chute in which you cannot turn around. If you don’t equalize as you go, and find yourself with ear pain in the middle of the chute, you are in a very fine pickle. So it is imperative to equalize every few feet, before you feel the slightest twinge of equalization pressure. By the time you feel equalization pressure, your options are all bad.

(2) Dark overhead ledges — the Devils Throat is full of them, and it is easy to bang your head on one of you are not mindful and you don’t carry a light. Some parts of the throat are quite dimly lit, and if you bang your head hard, you may suddenly find yourself in a one way chute with a concussion. So carry a light, keep looking for hard ledges, and give yourself as much overhead clearance as the chute allows.

We are currently arranged to do it with Didier as the first of a 2 tank morning dive on the 28th. Hope to see you there!
So, today's the day. Have a good, safe dive, then tell us about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom