Would I need anything else besides this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

easyrider003

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am thinking of getting into cave diving and was looking around on scubatoys.com at harnesses. I was wondering if anyone could give me any input on this system. I have no idea as to what to buy for a harness system and what all is needed as far as harness, backplates, and wings. Of all the harnesses that I looked at, this one appears to be the most comfortable. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what else I would need to purchase to make this harness a complete system, which backplate would I need and anything else that would secure the tank? Hopefully this link that I have provided will help.Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Thanks,
Michael

Hollis Harness Technical System, DIR and Technical, Hollis, Hollis Harness Technical System

I would ask around and look at other backplate systems. I think you would end up regetting that purchase. It dosent seem to have a hard backplate which I wouldnt recommend. Overall it looks really cheap. I personally use the Halcyon system and it cost me 650.00 which I know it is a huge price difference but it is a great system. I wouldnt dive with anything else. And if your going to get into cave diving 650 buck is the least of your expence. Also the harness you are looking at does not come with a wing so you would still have to purchase a wing.

easyrider, probably the best thing you could do would be to select an instructor for your cavern class (which I'm assuming is where you would start, given the small number of dives you have listed in your profile) and talk to him or her about what gear is recommended. I doubt many would recommend a system as complicated and expensive as the Hollis harness you're looking at. You'd be surprised, actually, how comfortable simple harness systems are, despite how they look

thats perfect advice, you cavern instructor should go over gear choices with you and help you select what is best for you.

Try to find someone in your area that is doing the type of diving that you are looking to do and speak with them personally, look at their gear and pick their brain.

Not trying to be mean, but the gap from your knowledge to where you need to be to start doing the diving you want to do is too large to be crossed online.

Hey, I just thought I would give my 2¢ I would personally stay away from that type of rig. Have you ever dove any other bp/w rigs? There are many out there that much more simple than that rig. They may not look as comfortable, but most, you don't realize are on under the water. I you haven't dove one see if you can borrow one to try before you take that leap. I think you will be pleased with what you find. I would let you try mine but the trip here would cost more then the rig itself.
Good luck on what ever you find.

I'd like to disagree that Hollis stuff is cheap... It is very well made gear. Depending on what features you are after, a harness can go from as simple as straight webbing, to something a bit more featured like those other options. Here is a nice basic harness from Hollis you could look at too:

Hollis Elite Harness, DIR and Technical, Hollis, Hollis Elite Harness

I can give you the name of an instructor in our area that can help you a bunch. There are a lot of things to consider before you buy. Send me a pm if you want any info that I have.
I am thinking of getting into cave diving and was looking around on scubatoys.com at harnesses. I was wondering if anyone could give me any input on this system. I have no idea as to what to buy for a harness system and what all is needed as far as harness, backplates, and wings. Of all the harnesses that I looked at, this one appears to be the most comfortable. I was wondering if anyone could tell me what else I would need to purchase to make this harness a complete system, which backplate would I need and anything else that would secure the tank? Hopefully this link that I have provided will help.Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Thanks,
Michael

Hollis Harness Technical System, DIR and Technical, Hollis, Hollis Harness Technical System

I think your going in the right direction.
There are some questions you should ask yourself though.

How much weight do you use?
aluminum or stainless plate
Is your cave class wanting you to use doubles?
single or double wing
The last question will bring you back to the weight issue.
Then you will also want to know what lift will work best for your equiptment your are using and the diving you will be doing.
The nice thing about this type of BP/W is the harness you just thread through and cut off the rest!
I would talk to your instructors for types of equipment and then contact Scuba Toys for the final choices in wing lift, and a stainless or aluminum plate.
Sorry for not being able to give you an answer right away. Its a big investment may as well make it right the first time. It is a bumer to wait. I would want it right now too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom