Would I need anything else besides this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are looking for a harness and want to go with scubatoys (great choice) here is an option for a harness, its close to what most cave divers are gonna have but has a couple extra D-rings:

Hollis Solo Harness, DIR and Technical, Hollis, Hollis Solo Harness

together with that you need a back plate like:

OMS Backplate, DIR and Technical, OMS, OMS Backplate

or you could ask for the hollis plate as I am sure scubatoys has it but have yet to add it to the site.

you will also need a wing for doubles and probably singles which all depends on your ballast and many other factors so I suggest ou do some reading on wings before buying but scubatoys does offer the hollis and OMS wings along with oxycheq and dive rite wings all of which are excellent.

you will likely need a single tank adapter as well and scubatoys can hook you up with that too.

I didn't go through scubatoys for my BP/W mostly because when I was buying gear they didn't have tech stuff online yet. I piece mealed my rig with FredT 9lb stainless plate, 4lb single tank adapter, OMS 32lb wing, OMS 45lb larry green wing, and webbing from reefscuba.com. You could get my entire setup with either wing for about $450 +/-.

you will likely need many other things besides the bc system.

-Getting a set of double tanks with bands and manifold
-canister light
-2 backup lights
-2 bottom timers
-2 spgs
-2 (or more) second stage regulators
-2 (or more) first stage regulators
-40 cubic foot stage/deco bottles with regs and spg
-80 cubic foot stage/deco bottles with regs and spg
-spare mask
-good fins with spring straps
-good wet suit or dry suit
-spools, reels, line arrows, slates, tables, bolt snaps, etc
-7ft hose
-shorter hoses for spg's and regs
the list never ends...

oh and a snorkel and a dedicated doubles set of spare airs is required :wink:

Talk to an instructor and take the advise from TSandM........... IMHO, Hollis completely missed the mark with the range that is out now. Supposed to be 'Technical oriented' but not completely thought through........I mean an 'Elite harness' (with shoulder pads and quick release buckles) for $115.......c'mon. Webbing and d-rings/buckle should not cost that much.

you will likely need many other things besides the bc system.

-Getting a set of double tanks with bands and manifold
-canister light
-2 backup lights
-2 bottom timers
-2 spgs
-2 (or more) second stage regulators
-2 (or more) first stage regulators
-40 cubic foot stage/deco bottles with regs and spg
-80 cubic foot stage/deco bottles with regs and spg
-spare mask
-good fins with spring straps
-good wet suit or dry suit
-spools, reels, line arrows, slates, tables, bolt snaps, etc
-7ft hose
-shorter hoses for spg's and regs
the list never ends...
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

You forgot the two most important things that come WAY before any of that mess.

1. Training
2. Experience

And a **** ton of both before anybody heads into a cave.

EasyRider, I implore you to do this in person.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude.

You forgot the two most important things that come WAY before any of that mess.

1. Training
2. Experience

And a **** ton of both before anybody heads into a cave.

Exactly, he should rent first, get familiar with basic diving skills, then get some of the needed gear recommended by a qualified instructor.

I understand the OP asked about equipment, obviously he is in need of a lot more info, but I don't expect a cave instructor will line him up for any overhead training soon or take him on as a student with some "funny" padded gear.

Practice, I have more than sixty dives with my BP/W, more than 60 hours of study on the rules and physical laws of diving and many hours in the pool.

This spring I will be taking my cavern certification. I plan to study and practice much more after that before even thinking of going into cave cert.

When students ask me what they should purchase for cavern class and they do not have any "technical experience" I highly recommend that they wait until class to try out different types of stuff BEFORE they purchase it.

You'll find most cave instructors (myself included) have a myriad of different gear (backplates, softpacks, harnesses, HID lights, back up lights, reels, spools etc) that you're more than willing to try out/use, that way you don't end up buying gear twice! There are lots of little nuances to getting set up with a cavern/cave diving rig and there is a a whole section of cavern class devoted to gear configuration. You'll also find that gear prices in cave country are going to be quite a bit cheaper than elsewhere!

Here's a link to the gear page on my website if you need more info EquipmentConsiderations and if you have any other specific questions please feel free to drop me a PM. Hope this helps... :)

Safe diving,

Rich

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom