Would Key Largo Disappoint by comparison...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NetDoc, could you elaborate on the safety concerns with Caymans and Cozumel, and why key largo is safer?

Thanks
The Coasties. The USCG does an incredible job making the dive ops aware of what is and is not acceptable. We benefit from all that scrutiny. Mind you, I've dove all these areas, but not on every dive op in all these areas. My feeling is that safety is a huge priority here in the States compared to all others. If I were to rate them for safety:
  1. Key Largo
  2. Curacao
  3. Bonaire
  4. The Caymans
  5. Cozumel
I'm not saying that any of these areas are NOT safe. I'm just rating them as I see them.

Thanks for all the input. Good info all around. Still haven't made up my mind. Looking into Catalina now as well, if anyone here has any ideas about diving there. Thanks again.

Catalina is totall awesome. I would recommend a 5 day live aboard with Truth Aquatics out of Santa Barbara, CA. I have done this trip in August (last year) and in early October. Diving is unlike anything you have probably done, so that's a good thing. Water temps will be temperate and not tropical though. High 60's to low 70's most likely. So, a 5mm-7mm wetsuit-- so take that into consideration. I have dove everywhere you have and you should do the Channel Islands (southern) preferably at some point in time. Fell free to ping me for more info.

I would recommend a 5 day live aboard with Truth Aquatics out of Santa Barbara, CA. I have done this trip in August (last year) and in early October. Diving is unlike anything you have probably done, so that's a good thing. Water temps will be temperate and not tropical though. High 60's to low 70's most likely. So, a 5mm-7mm wetsuit-- so take that into consideration. I have dove everywhere you have and you should do the Channel Islands (southern) preferably at some point in time.

Thanks for the great info. I can't really do liveaboards; I have a thing about being confined. It limits my spots somewhat, and some good ones at that. Maybe when I'm older (and lazier). I will look into the channel islands. Thanks again.

The Coasties. The USCG does an incredible job making the dive ops aware of what is and is not acceptable. We benefit from all that scrutiny. Mind you, I've dove all these areas, but not on every dive op in all these areas. My feeling is that safety is a huge priority here in the States compared to all others. If I were to rate them for safety:
  1. Key Largo
  2. Curacao
  3. Bonaire
  4. The Caymans
  5. Cozumel
I'm not saying that any of these areas are NOT safe. I'm just rating them as I see them.

I am not a dive operator, I am just an occasional warm water vacation diver, but I have dived multiple times in all of the above listed places and I have always maintained a high opinion of Cayman diving operations and practices. In general, they are as good or better than any of the locations listed IMO.

Below is a link to Cayman's extensive safe diving standards and I am aware of specific instances when these standards and safe practices have been enforced. And I was once on a dive boat in the Caymans during an emergency and I was very impressed with the competence and professionalism of the dive staff.

We will be going back to Cayman for our 7th trip this fall. We have used a variety of local operators and have never felt any cause for concern.

In some ways the Cayman dive ops exceed their own standards and are stricter than operators in some other locations. For example, most Cayman dive ops insist that you dive with a buddy and will not allow solo diving.

I would like to better understand the things that you have seen, or your criteria for rating the Cayman dive ops lower on safety. If there are reasons for concern then it would be very important for me to know about them, please clarify, thank you.

Safe Diving Standards | Cayman Diving, Dive Caribbean | Dive Cayman

Last edited:
Diving the Keys is hit and miss. I suggest you instead do Cozumel you want low hassle diving. If you do not mind (a lot of) driving (and really rude drivers), cancelled dives (because they got a better deal with a different group and get booted) too late to re-book (routine), highly variable conditions and burned out staff that are often rude and inflexible. Imagine the Seinfeld Soup Nazi if he was in charge of a dive boat! Too many rules, hold your fins this way, walk that way, fins on, fins not on, sit down, stand up, shut up and being stuck with a load of snorkelers. Oh and a well known instructor who let her students sit on my camera and resulting in about $600 dollars of damage after they had removed it from the DESIGNATED camera table to the bench so they could put their wet dive equipment on the table!

But that said, it is all good, I am a glutton for punishment and return yearly, if only as an annual rite, to get my dose of it. My wife will not come with me. She loves Cozumel and Caymans (and other places) but will not dive in the Keys. The diving can be great, the sea life amazing and the people outstanding. I know, just the opposite of what I said in the preceding paragraph, so there lies the gist of it, you really never know what you are going to get in the Keys.

Instead of booking all dives with one store, you might consider a variety of operators, this to avoid repeated dives on either Molasses shallow or those rusting hulks out there over and over and over. Geeeeez. Book early, check in frequently, have a good attitude and just take it as it comes. When it goes bad, just turn the other cheek and tell yourself, it is all good and every day ends with a wonderful sunset an the promise of a new day. Leave yourself plenty of time to account for traffic and other logistics.

I prefer up in Jupiter, Pompano, West Palm etc. Still lot's of driving, but also a lot of diving, DIVE, DIVE, DIVE!

N

It's been awhile since we dived in Florida but I am happy to say that I have never had most of the the negative experiences Nemrod describes above; but his post did remind me of a Florida experience that I did not like at all.

Once we were very surprised to see that some of the divers boarding our dive boat were carrying spears, and this was before the lion fish infestation. We wanted to dive to enjoy the beautiful sea life, not watch creatures being slaughtered. We got off the boat and asked for a refund, after an argument they finally gave us our money back.

I don't know if that still happens, and it probably depends on the season, but it is something to be aware of.

Last edited:
Hello. I have a week in August to go diving, and am considering Key Largo for the sake of simplicity.

I have been to Bonaire, Curacao, The Cayman Islands, and Cozumel all multiple times.

I was wondering if spending a week in Key Largo would be quite similar but pale somewhat in comparison.

I like colourful and varied corals and interesting reef structures, and larger species and schools of fish and other water creatures.

I am not so much into macro or wrecks.

Appreciate any comments, suggestions, or insight.

Thanks!

Hi Murky,

Everyone has their favorites, personally, I find all the spots you mention excellent, different and complimentary. I have dived Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Bonaire, Curacao and Key Largo pretty extensively, about 400 dives altogether.

About 5 years ago, after diving SE FL for several years, I bought a townhouse in Boynton Beach. I have about 600 dives in Boynton Beach, West Palm including Blue Heron Bridge, and Jupiter. The diving in SE FL is pretty spectacular with numbers, diversity, and size of reef fish competitive or better than many Caribbean sites. I think the best spot for Goliath Grouper aggregation is the wreck of the Castor in Boynton Beach. Sharks are frequently seen in Jupiter, the BHB is macro delight, perhaps not your cup of tea. I haven't been back to Key Largo since 2009 except to dive the Spiegel Grove and the Duane off the Spree last summer. Personally, I like the reefs in SE FL, particularly Boynton Beach, more than Key Largo.

I agree with @KathyV, Turks and Caicos is another spot to consider. It is also complimentary with very frequent encounters with Reef Sharks. My son and I had a wonderful time there.

Best of luck in choosing the destination for your next trip, you have many great places to pick from. You didn't say when in August you will be traveling. I will be in Boynton Beach Aug 3-10 and would be glad to help show you around

Best, Craig

Diving the Keys is hit and miss. I suggest you instead do Cozumel you want low hassle diving. If you do not mind (a lot of) driving (and really rude drivers), cancelled dives (because they got a better deal with a different group and get booted) too late to re-book (routine), highly variable conditions and burned out staff that are often rude and inflexible. Imagine the Seinfeld Soup Nazi if he was in charge of a dive boat! Too many rules, hold your fins this way, walk that way, fins on, fins not on, sit down, stand up, shut up and being stuck with a load of snorkelers. Oh and a well known instructor who let her students sit on my camera and resulting in about $600 dollars of damage after they had removed it from the DESIGNATED camera table to the bench so they could put their wet dive equipment on the table

I also experienced what Nemrod did. I didn't mention it in my earlier post cause I thought it was just my experience. I guess it might be just a little more widespread.

I got lots of "attitude" all the way from MIA airport to KL and back. I got attitude from the girl at the dive shop's front desk, divers were giving each other attitude on the dive boat, waitresses were yelling at each other in front of customers. The first mate on our dive boat mumbled for everyone to hear..."Here I go again begging for money for a living..." all inclusive of eyeroll and utter disgust, before "officially" asking the patrons to "Please Tip" with a fake smile from ear to ear. The atmosphere was full of resentment. I got the feeling that many workers in KL didn't want to be there because they felt their job and servicing their clientele was beneath them. Kind of sh*tty when you're on vacation to have to deal with that kind of stuff.

This was not in every establishment, but in enough places that it was simply unpleasant.

Last edited:
I also experienced what Nemrod did. I didn't mention it in my earlier post cause I thought it was just my experience. I guess it might be just a little more widespread.

I got lots of "attitude" all the way from MIA airport to KL and back. I got attitude from the girl at the dive shop's front desk, divers were giving each other attitude on the dive boat, waitresses were yelling at each other in front of customers. The first mate on our dive boat mumbled for everyone to hear..."Here I go again begging for money for a living..." all inclusive of eyeroll and utter disgust, before "officially" asking the patrons to "Please Tip" with a fake smile from ear to ear. The atmosphere everywhere was full of resentment. I got the feeling that many workers in KL didn't want to be there because they felt their job and servicing their clientele was beneath them. Kind of sh*tty when you're on vacation to have to deal with that kind of stuff.

This was not in every establishment, but in enough places that it was simply unpleasant.

And you feel it is different up in Jupiter, West Palm, etc.? Interesting. I guess the Keys have the distinction of being the closest thing to a tropical vacation destination in the continental US, and so maybe service industry personnel get jaded from the difficulties associated with a constant stream of budget tourists. I have never noticed this, but I suppose there can be a lot of variation among the choices of dive ops, restaurants, and other service providers. Choose wisely?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom