Would like to go dive the Atlantic Graveyard...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plainsong

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hello,

I'm thinking, sometime this summer, I will drive from Alexandria(VA) to Moorehead for a weekend of diving. I did a wreck dive before (the Eagle @ Key Largo) and loved it. Now, I figure the Graveyard of the Atlantic would be perfect. Before actually heading down there I'd like to make sure of some things so I have a couple questions:

How long it takes to get there - driving?

Am I getting in over my head given my limited number of dives?

Thanks in advance.

While the Eagle can be challenging, it can also be a walk in the park. Keep in mind the Eagle is close to shore, many wrecks off shore NC are a long boat ride from shore. What were conditions like when you dived the Eagle - seas? current? weather? How many other dives have you made and in what conditions?

plainsong:
Hello,

I'm thinking, sometime this summer, I will drive from Alexandria(VA) to Moorehead for a weekend of diving. I did a wreck dive before (the Eagle @ Key Largo) and loved it. Now, I figure the Graveyard of the Atlantic would be perfect. Before actually heading down there I'd like to make sure of some things so I have a couple questions:

How long it takes to get there - driving?

Am I getting in over my head given my limited number of dives?

Thanks in advance.
It takes about 6.5 hours to 7.5 hours to drive from Arlington, VA to Morehead City/Beaumont NC, assuming you are NOT leaving town on Friday afternoon. (Take Friday off and leave around 7 AM...or it will take much longer. This way you'll roll into town around late afternoon.)

Time for the commute is completely traffic-dependent. On a holiday weekend, such as Memorial Day, you may even want to take an extra day on the front end and leave Thursday morning. Boats return to the dock generally by 3 PM Sunday. After rinsing your gear and settling your account(s) you can be on the road by 4 or 4:30. Unless there are accidents or its a holiday weekend you'll be back in Arlington around 2 AM. [On holiday weekends the traffic coming up from Virginia Beach merges just north of Richmond, and you'll crawl the entire way back into DC from there onwards...avoid holiday weekends.]

So long as you dive within your limits, have a plan, stick with a buddy, listen to the briefing, and dive your plan, you'll be fine. It isn't a matter of the number of dives you have, its whether you use your head and execute wisely. There are many, many wrecks down there in relatively shallow water...and sometimes you can have a lot of fun on shallow wrecks just poking around and looking at them. All things considered, however, you would prefer to get out into the Gulf Stream where the vis is better and the water is warmer. This may put many wrecks between say 70' and 115' or so.

Like Walter said, this is different diving. The rides can be 2.5 hours out or more (then another 2.5+ back), you can be 60-70 miles offshore, weather can play a large role, many divers become seasick if they haven't taken Triptone or Bonine (and don't have their sea legs yet), bring a hat and water, etc. etc. There can be significant currents. A boat I was on once picked up three divers drifting in the ocean over a mile away from their charter boat. They'd been reported missing. They got off the anchor line, missed the wreck, didn't know how to navigate with a compass, and instead of surfacing they kept on swimming with the current until they ran out of air and had to surface. 60 miles offshore is not a location to get stupid.

While you can certainly call a charter boat captain and reserve a slot, make hotel reservations, etc., perhaps a better way to do it for a first time experience might be to work with a shop. There is a good one right by you, and I suggest you consider giving Dori a call:
http://www.splashdivecenter.com/trips.php

Splash has a trip going to Morehead in June, it should be a fun trip and this gives you a guided entry into the entire scene down there. You can collect cards from hotels and restaurants, as well as charter ops for that matter, get an idea about fill availability, etc., all in a company of other divers who've been there a few times. Its a 'reduced-risk' option for learning all about diving off Morehead City/Beaumont.

Hope you have fun, either way.

Doc

feel free to post again in the nc wreckdiver area, though the advice is good so far.

except, doc, it's 'beaufort'! :D

Holy Horrendous Memory! It's the pre-geezer thing again.

(I was in Beaumont, Texas recently. I plead early onset of alzheimers...and none of you ever told me there was a Beaufort SOUTH Carolina also! What sort of nimrods name two coastal cities the same name and then run dive operations out of both of them?
Holy Obfuscation... :D )

So... BD, I'm relocating back to the east coast next month. I know it pains you to hear this! When are you and the terrible tribe descending on Rawlings again with all those baked goods and roadkill burgers? I must be there................ :wink:

Well Doc to really mess with you, they are both spelled the same way but the one in NC is pronounced BOfort (like Bowtie) and the one in SC is pronounced BUfort (like Beautiful).

Plainsong, it would be a good idea to hook up with some of the NCdivers if you can, a buddy who is experienced in NC diving is a big help. Our diving is nothing like the keys, we go out on days that they would not even consider in the Keys. 2 or 3 hr rides are common with 1 or 2 hrs SI on a rocking boat, seasickness is a real problem. You have not experienced real boat diving until you have done a Carolina ladder ride in 5ft seas. :)

it'll be great to have you, bill! woo hoo! you can see me in the doubles!

Walter and Herman,

I have 20 dives under my belt with 14 of those in "ideal" tropical water. The others three were more "challenging" but not all that. The Eagle dive has been my deepest and most challenging. The sea was calm, visibility was 25' if that, and the current was going at a decent rate. Three other more experienced divers and myself misjudged its rate thus not holding on to the line when doing our safety stops. Sure enough, we drifted from the boat and had to inflate an SMB for picked up.

Thanks you two for the heads up on the conditions off of NC.

Doc,

Thanks for the mucho info. I will take your advice and head to Splash (in an hour), tell Dori you sent me, then sign up for the Moorhead or Hatteras trip if not both.

BWS,

I will look into those two operators. Olympus I will dive with because that's the one most of the LDSs here I see use.

BD,

I will post in the NC wreckdiver section soon.

I can recommend Olympus highly. They're a good operation. I can say, however, that they took even better care of the group that had travelled there with a dive shop than they did with my buddy and I who just showed up and wanted a seat on the boat. That's a great route to go if it works out for you.

And see if you can get George to tell you some stories!

Back
Top Bottom