Would pool dives be good for practice between OW dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wman1966

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I am about to complete my certification and am in the military deployed to Guam which is ware I am doing the training. When I get home I will have to travel to dive so between dive would pool diving be a good way to keep my skills up. I would probably only do about 1 or 2 dives a year since I have to travel.

Where are you going to be located that you cannot dive locally other than in a pool? I bet if you look around you'll find there's more opportunity to "get wet" locally than you think!

PS - yes, pool work can be useful to keep skills fresh.

Pool wouldn't be my first choice, but if that's all you've got access to, YES, it can be helpful!

Sure, pool is good practice especially for trim. Look on YouTube for scuba buoyancy control - video of a guy with superb trim. The shallower the water, the more difficult this is to do. Great way to practice and it's relaxing also. You can also practice all the skills from basic Open Water class. And it's wet and weightless which is what really counts.

As others have said, yes you can get skills in a pool. That being said, most areas of the country do have open water diving available. It may not be tropical, but it is still diving and a good way to improve your skills

Yes, pool diving is definitely better than nothing. At the very least you will remain familiar with the equipment and basic procedures. However, there are plenty of diving spots in the USA, so you may want to check some of the local groups for opportunities to dive while at home:

United States - ScubaBoard

You can use a pool to work on a lot of aspects of diving. It's very worthwhile to keeping sharp if it's the best you can do.

As others have said, however, don't assume you can't dive locally. There are good dive sites in some odd places.

I sometimes video classes at a local pool and quite often I fall asleep. If that isn't learning to
just relax" then I don't know what is.

Great place to work on buoyancy. If you can do it well in 10 feet of water, deeper will be a breeze. Don't forget to get your weighting dialed in , Although 15' with 500 psi is best, you'll be close. And get yourself trimmed out so you are horizontal.

Back
Top Bottom