Would this be a good knife to have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally do not like folding knives for diving. When you need it, it is just one more step you need to do. I prefer knives in a sheath that thread into your waist belt.

The other thing I don't like about the knife you mentioned is that the clip is what is known as a "suicide" clip. I don't agree with the term, since it is such an exaggeration.

Other than those things, it is a very nice looking knife :)

yeah, people will pooh-pooh the carabiner system and I tend to agree.

folding knives in general are a nice 2nd option (maybe 3rd).

Nice knife, but not for scuba. The best thing you can get will be a set of EMT shears in a belt sheath. ScubaToys carries them (where I got mine) but I'm sure others carry them too.

They are always accessible (not tucked into a BC pocket)
You can easily and safely dummy-chord it to yourself (you belt)
They are strong enoug to cut steel fishing leaders (unlike a knife meant for cutting soft cord)
It's much, much harder to accidently cut yourself with the shears.
If you lose the shears they can be replaced for a few bucks.
You can carry shears on any dive site. Many marine reserve parks prohibit knives and dive boats may or may not enforce that.

I am sorry, I am not sure, danpass, what do you mean.

---------- Post Merged at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:46 PM ----------

Are EMT shears all the same? Or for scuba you have to buy specific ones? Like different size, alloy, etc...

I am sorry, I am not sure, danpass, what do you mean.
use a bolt snap instead of a carabiner

May I ask why? These lock mechanisms are kind of new to me.

PS: Can you post a picture of a bolt snap?

the carabiner can just be snapped onto a line whereas a bolt snap must be done on purpose

some bolt snaps are like the one shown, others are double ended.

big-dog-leash-bolt-snap-hook-hm-316a-5.jpg

I see the difference now but I am still unclear why to use one over the other.

I see the difference now but I am still unclear why to use one over the other.

with the caribiner, if you inadvertently swim into some fishing line or something, the fishing line could force open the caribiner and then you would be hooked onto the line. With a bolt snap there is much less risk of this since you have to force it open by moving the lever in a perpendicular direction to the direction needed to enter the opening (i.e. you need to force it open).

Sorry, for the convoluted description, I got halfway in and realized that it is difficult to explain with words, although easy to demonstrate.

The reason I don't like the term "suicide" clip is that even if you get hooked on something like that, you aren't automatically dead, you just unclip yourself, or cut what ever you are clipped onto, and you are free to continue to dive. I do however, agree that bolt snaps just make more sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom