Would you dive with these tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I saw these tanks at a dock and they looked really rough.
They belonged to another dive shop.
The location is outside the US.
I didn't look too close, but I don't think I would use these tanks or the shop that supplies them.
Am I overreacting or is this just a cosmetic issue from the salt water?

View attachment 506708

View attachment 506709
I saw those. Can't remember which shop.

No worse than these

_82912484_82912483.jpg

I'd used them if I could get them filled and I needed to use a lift bag for something. No way would I breathe off of them.

In addition to the external condition I'd also be VERY suspect of what the inside of those tanks looks like.
After diving some steel tanks in COZ a few years ago I was left with an extra nice service bill for my regulators as the shop had to remove rust form the hoses in addition to a full overhaul to clean them out...

In fairness, isn’t trash pick up Thursday? Are you sure these tanks are in rotation? Is it possible they have been left out because they are waiting for the scrap collector?

Exactly. Tanks waiting to be disposed of on the left. Serviceable tanks on the right. Given the close proximity of those two packs of tanks, I would put money on it that they have the same owner.

Even if that is the case...I'm at a loss as to why they haven't put a tarp over them to get them out of sight. I'm guessing that OP isn't the first person to take a picture of those tanks and post it online.

I would probably dive them so long as I could verify that they were holding pressure without any leaks and I had a buddy with enough air. They would generally only be likely to fail when being filled.

As a few others have said, I would want to be in a different area when they are getting filled though (like about 1/2 mile away).

Exactly. Tanks waiting to be disposed of on the left. Serviceable tanks on the right. Given the close proximity of those two packs of tanks, I would put money on it that they have the same owner.

Even if that is the case...I'm at a loss as to why they haven't put a tarp over them to get them out of sight. I'm guessing that OP isn't the first person to take a picture of those tanks and post it online.

Maybe but they were waiting there looking like they were waiting to be loaded on a boat to dive or truck to be re filled last May when I was there. The other tell while subtle, is the color the top is painted. A different color indicates a different shop, on an island with probably close to 100 dive shops as a large filling company filling most tanks the difference in shade of blue is significant.

They are being used daily.

I took the original picture last year.
Tanks are still being used.
I know which op they belong to, but that's not the point of this thread.
I didn't say whose tanks they were, because I don't know if these are tanks they give to customers of if they are only used by their staff. The shop had two groups of tanks on the dock and the other group looked normal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom