• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Would you dive with these tanks?

Discussion in 'Basic Scuba Discussions' started by lionfish-eater, Feb 23, 2019.

1. W W Meixner

W W Meixner Rebreather Pilot

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    BRT...

Point taken...and I agree...my primary concern is as yours...that being my expertly maintained set of expensive regulators being loaded up with tank scale...compounded by charcoal dust from a bad compressor filter...if that operator's compressor is in as sorry a state as his tanks...

If there was no other option than to dive with these tanks...I would certainly want to confirm both mix and CO...even if the tanks were filled with 21%...with ''my analyzers''...after seeing these tanks...I'd have a hard time trusting anything this operator had...and full service charter operators have many items...not to mention their knowledge/skills and training that you need to rely on to get you back to the dock safely...

Best...

Warren

BRT and markmud like this.
  2. markmud

markmud Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives. ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Thanks so much Warren,

That was a cognitive response! And I agree with what you wrote.

To iterate: No, I would not dive those tanks because if the patent use/abuse issues evident on the outside are reflective of the treatment and maintenance regimen on the inside, they are dangerous tanks. At best, rust or rusty water will impede your regulators ability to function as warranted.

cheers,
    markm

W W Meixner and Alan Browne like this.
  3. markmud

markmud Self Reliant Diver--On All Dives. ScubaBoard Supporter

This:

Perfect...and based on human nature. An organization that fails at one or two safety protocols/paradigms, usually fails at many.

:cheers:
    markm

W W Meixner and Alan Browne like this.
  4. Alan Browne

Alan Browne Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I wouldn't walk away. I'd run.

markmud likes this.
  5. TheGraveyardDiver

TheGraveyardDiver Angel Fish

I wouldn't pass them on VIP so I wouldn't dive with them.

6. MaxE

MaxE DIR Practitioner

A1632F94-9CC0-4965-AF22-D338933837A8.jpeg F0062889-6B65-403F-AA95-3B9BB7B79545.jpeg I was at the dock in question in June. I thought back to all the discussion about how dangerous these tanks were, how they were ticking time bombs. Someone there must be monitoring this forum, or not

7. BRT

BRT Giant Squid

I'm sure several of them have exploded and the others have killed people breathing the air in them.

8. broncobowsher

broncobowsher Solo Diver

So the hose clamp is holding a sacrificial anode on the tank. I'm actually impressed. I bet they are taken care of better than people are giving them credit for.