Would you share your PDC data?

Would you share your PDC data?

• Yes

Votes: 67 80.7%
  • No

Votes: 16 19.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*dave*

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
If there was an option in your dive log software which would enable you to anonymously download your profiles to a central database, would you?

The purpose of the database would be to compile data and provide general statistics.

If your answer is no, would you mind stating why not?

Sure. Why not?

I would but I don't even download my dives to my PC anymore let alone upload them to some 3rd party.

Yes, but if and only if there is some kind of public API to get that data if I want to play with it.

I don't want my software bloated with extra functions that don't directly serve me!
If we allow these extras on all the different software packages we use on our PC then both the bandwidth of our internet connection and the CPU resources suffer.
These little add ons by themselves seem innocent and benign but if everyone all around the world uses them the internet starts to get log jammed with these little vampires.

It would consume a bit of bandwidth each time you uploaded, but there would be no noticeable impact on computer performance. This is not bloat. It could be used or not at the user's discretion. Considering the size of typical help files, the function wouldn't amount to squat.

I don't want my software bloated with extra functions that don't directly serve me!
If we allow these extras on all the different software packages we use on our PC then both the bandwidth of our internet connection and the CPU resources suffer.
These little add ons by themselves seem innocent and benign but if everyone all around the world uses them the internet starts to get log jammed with these little vampires.

I already do.

It's not data from a PDC per se, but I upload my profiles from V-Planner. Also, Ross does have a way to look at the data base.

All the best, James

Yes, but a bit more streamlined and without providing personal info. The data would also be immediately available for query to anyone interested.
The paranoid side of me says no, I wouldn't participate. Anonymity in the digital age is hard to come by. And I'm just not smart enough to predict where that information may end-up and how it may come back to bite me in the arse in the future. For all I know some health insurance company could some how get a hold of the info, and next thing I know my claim for some unrelated problem is denied. Like I said, it may be unwarranted paranoia, but I've seen first hand what crafty people can do with supposedly "anonymous" information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom