WOW!! A smart diving mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did the survey, but I have doubts about this. Masks are personal: they don't all fit everybody, so would you have to make a bunch of different sizes and shapes? Would the computer in the mask restrict field of vision? Would a lot of people not be able to read the HUD without some sort of vision correction?

I know a shop that has one of these made by Aeris. I don't know when it was produced, but it's been sitting around awhile. It doesn't send SOS, but it has a built in computer and HUD display. Field of vision is a bit restricted.

So your idea isn't new, but I wish you luck in developing a product appealing and usable to a lot of people.
Actually this is our doubt too, we are planning to make different silicon skirts for divers from different continents, sexes, etc. Would it sound better?
Really thanks for your brainstorming :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Completed the survey. What algorithms to you plan to implement.
We are planning to use the Reduced Gradient Bubble Model, do you have any suggestion? Or you prefer a diving mask/diving computer that can choose from various of algorithms? Thanks

It's possible you may get a lot more replies if posted in the "Basic" forum?

Ability to choose algorithms is best. Many people dislike RGBM for a number of reasons. I think it's cool for a recreational diver. I think the previous iterations of mask-mounted computers sucked because they weren't a true HUD, they just took up a portion of the mask.

It needs to be readable in all conditions. It needs to be easy to use. I don't like that the Cosmiq requires a phone, but the ability to use a phone as well as on-computer interface would be great.

I'm pretty skeptical. There is a reason that the Oceanic DataMask failed.

A dive computer needs to display much more data than this one does. Bottom time, NDL time remaining, Depth, temp, max depth. And that's just recreational- non air integrated.

Is there an ability to access this data without wearing the mask? I don't want to have to wear my mask as I figure out my Surface Interval and how long for what depth I can do the next dive.

I have doubts about whatever projection technology you used being able to function at depth, the contrast available for the display, and how obtrusive it will be.

Where will the actual computer part be; on the back of your head?

And the idea of integrating a "SOS signal" is just...not going to happen- nor a feature I think I would pay for.

A 13 second video of what could be computer graphics isn't very convincing. I've seen this "great new dive gear" thing before- it was called the Triton Artificial Gills....

Last edited:
First, it needs to fit well and be low volume (for me to buy it). I'm having trouble imagining being able to focus on the display 1" from my eyes. Also, how well will it hold up to anti-fog solutions? Does it come already cleaned of factory residues because toothpaste and strong solvents and cigarette lighters are going to be tough on the display. Where's the battery and how long does it last? Is it user replaceable? What happens if it gets squished inside a suitcase? Is the display sensitive to exposure to direct sunlight? What do you mean by "SOS signal to the dive boat?" Plus all the concerns already mentioned....

Hey, some of us cannot see our computers and gauges. Having a bearing, time and depth (and remaining gas perhaps) projected on the glass would be lovely. No need for sos signals though: we already have the rope.

Done, and I left comments similar to several being made here in the survey.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom