WOW! - Check out this Reel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wu-
"It comes complete with a metal to metal connection."
Just like the Manta and Halcyon Pathfinder amongst other reels with metal to metal.
This one comes with a 316 SS Clip and not a brass clip.
It seems easy to customize the way that you want it - the clip can be removed and attached with line.
I suspect even the ratchet can be removed.
The line is not pre-knotted at 10' intervals.

"It's absurdly heavy."
It is heavier than the plastic reels but not absurdly so...
If you have a "limp wrist" it may be a problem. You may want to consider staying with really light reels.

"It's absurdly expensive."
Not at all!!! The reel itself is cheaper than the Manta SR or Halcyon Pathfinder.
Like I said it was the shipping that I screwed up and paid an expedited rate for.

The reel itself cost $169 USD (MSRP). I think that I saw SS non-ratcheting reels priced at $115-$120 too.

"I have not taken it for a dive yet."
I will post how it performs after a few dives.

Last edited:
It looks really nice. I'd be interested in the non-ratched one... maybe.

Randy,
If you are up here diving Gilboa or Whitestar you are welcome to borrow this one and take it for a test dive.

Why lump the manta in with the pathfinder? One is a serious technical product.

Looks well made but I prefer sidewinder style reels. Also prefer my finger to a ratchet but maybe that's because if gear can break I'll find a way... :)

Kudos to you for spending so much money to try out a new product, let us know how it works in the water.

Randy,
If you are up here diving Gilboa or Whitestar you are welcome to borrow this one and take it for a test dive.

Thanks! I'll do that. I've got a season pass, but haven't had time for diving lately.

I'll be there on NYD and I hope a couple of times between now and the first of the year.

How did this reel perform on your dives?

I've dived with one of these reels for a couple of years now and it really is a fantastic bit of kit. The weight does take a little bit of getting used. The weight is a real bonus though when you're doing deco. You can leave the reel to hang in front of you knowing your DSMB is sitting up nice and stiff on the surface.
It's also reassuring to know when you throw it back onto the rib floor that it won't get damaged by someone dropping a cylinder on it.
I use mine with a bit of bungee looped through the holes on the handle to fix the DSMB when it's stowed. I also took it to a trophy engraver to get my email address stamped on the handle in case it got lost.

Looks great. Good report

Last edited:
Has anyone tried a chalk line?

A buddy of mine uses one and I have to try it. It is simple and strong and compact. I like that

Back
Top Bottom