Wow! cost of gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4 rebreathers
Regs, tanks, wetsuits, drysuit, misc. bs.

A dollar or two :)

We were on a boat for a tech class a few years back, and it hit me . . . EACH diver on the boat was going into the water with gear that cost more than the boat did!

No, I don't want to know how much I have spent on dive gear. . .

I worked it out roughly a couple of years ago. When I put on my gear and splash (including my breather and DPV) I'm wearing and carrying $23,000 in gear.

-Adrian

We were on a boat for a tech class a few years back, and it hit me . . . EACH diver on the boat was going into the water with gear that cost more than the boat did!

That must have been some Dive boat.

I went low end on my gear but for my tec class I was jumping in the water with about $4000 worth of gear.

My signature on other forums is the Tech Diver's Prayer: Dear Lord, if I should die, please don't let my wife sell my dive gear for what I told her I paid for it.

Don't confuse "spending" with "investing"

:D

I have to tell my wife it's an investment in life safety.:D

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 05:07 AM ----------

I suspect there is a big difference between the replacement cost and the resale value; but they are both probably small potatoes compared to what you have spent on dive trips.

Agreed. But I will (and did) claim replacement cost recently with American Airline. Still waiting to see how that goes.

---------- Post added July 4th, 2015 at 05:09 AM ----------

*lalalalalala*

DSLR - photography
Technical
DPV

I _really_ do NOT want to think about that! :)

Damn. I forgot about the camera.:idk:

Don't do the math... just don't... ever... do the math. I also had to do it for the homeowner's insurance policy and I'm damn lucky that I had already hinted to the wife just how bad it was. It was also pretty fun to explain to our insurance agent. =)

Another depressing number - annual costs / number of dives per year. Knowing that number changed my diving habits; it was no longer worth it (to me) to DM for free for out of state "bucket list" divers. If I'm spending that much of my disposable income on diving per year, I owe it to myself (and my family) to focus on diving for fun.

Around 30K in the last ten years. Replacement value that is. I didn't pay anywhere near that thanks to buying used gear, dealer cost items, etc. Right now 4 sidemount rigs, 3 BPW's, a dozen or so regs. 4 wetsuits (one a full custom that did cost as much as the other three), 2 dry suits, a lower end scooter (Torpedo), a dozen or so tanks, a couple can lights, a kayak, tools, accessories, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom