Wow! Someone has figured out how to market diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

???

The inflator and exhaust valves aren't "accessories", they're standard equipment on a drysuit, like the pedals and the steering wheel is on a car. And the suit hose comes with the suit, just unscrew one of the LP port plugs from your 1st stage and screw in the suit hose.

And you don't need a pee valve, nor do you need to glue a condom catheter to your junk to dive dry. I know very few non-tech divers who bother with that, we just make sure not to over-hydrate and to take a leak not too long before we zip up. Most of us are able to hold it for an hour or so, which is the typical run time for a rec dive in these waters. I have much less problems holding it in my drysuit than I have if I'm diving wet in warmer water.
One thing I had on my old drysuit was a pee zipper. That was very handy to have especially when coming up from a dive and needing to pee really bad. No need to get fully out of the suit.

I know exactly what I'm missing and have no regrets. I like to dive to see the wonders of natural sealife underwater- not lifeless shipwrecks. No offense to those who do enjoy that type of diving - it's just not of interest to me
Not all cold water diving is in fresh water. British Columbia rivals tropical reefs with its diversity and color. The size of the animals there are what amazed me the first time I dived there.Wolf eels with human size heads, octopus that could stretch out their arms over a car, etc.
27986841728_e44f2902e6_b.jpg

27390315077_65bc90f500_b.jpg

32607742917_3357efd0d0_b.jpg

Giant Pacific Octopus, Enteroctopus dofleini.jpg

Octopus and metridiums.jpg

Race Island 4.jpg

Scalyhead sculpin.jpg

41138269174_b9291272ef_b.jpg

46633994465_ac338273dd_b.jpg

26987171707_d2b0d57e31_b.jpg

40973264645_2abf34ac74_b.jpg

Not all cold water diving is in fresh water. British Columbia rivals tropical reefs with its diversity and color. The size of the animals there are what amazed me the first time I dived there.Wolf eels with human size heads, octopus that could stretch out their arms over a car, etc.
View attachment 552650

View attachment 552651

View attachment 552652

View attachment 552646

View attachment 552647

View attachment 552648

View attachment 552649

View attachment 552653

View attachment 552654

View attachment 552655

View attachment 552656
Beautiful stuff - maybe, someday, I’ll give it a try but there are so many warmer destinations to hit first for me - including Palau, Raja Ampat (and many trips to see all of that), Philippines, Maldives, Socorro and maybe Cocos. Next trip outside of the Caribbean is Fiji next August!

???

And you don't need a pee valve, nor do you need to glue a condom catheter to your junk to dive dry. I know very few non-tech divers who bother with that, we just make sure not to over-hydrate and to take a leak not too long before we zip up. Most of us are able to hold it for an hour or so, which is the typical run time for a rec dive in these waters. I have much less problems holding it in my drysuit than I have if I'm diving wet in warmer water.

There is so much drama around the pee valve, most of it unnecessary. What is critical is buying the correct size catheter, and a quality brand. There is no need to glue anything. A quality catheter goes on easy, stays secure and comes off easily. Again, size is most critical. Most people will never be as large as they think they are. ;-)

The key thing to remember is there's a rather large medical supply industry outside diving that services all manner of medical conditions that require 24/7 catheter use for males. Unless you have a latex allergy, they work well. (and there are alternatives if you have a latex allergy though I've never tried them).

Reactions: Dan
As for dry suits vs. wet suits, the first thing to remember is that a proper wet suit for our conditions is 7mm farmer john plus jacket, giving you 14mm over the core.

I dove a wetsuit for my open waters many years ago in March on the Sunshine Coast, and then for the entire spring & summer until Aug when I took my AOW and then bought my first drysuit. After the OW, the spring/summer was all diving in Lake Minnewanka AB, which is a glacier fed VERY COLD lake year-round. <brrrr>

The thing about wetsuits that I found is they are just fine for 1 dive. It's the surface interval that starts chilling you, and then the second dive is misery. Also (don't ask how I know) - the worst thing you can do with a wetsuit is get in a hot tub to warm up between dives wearing the wetsuit. The dive after is almost guaranteed hypothermia because all the blood vessels are wide open thanks to the hot tub.

Would I dive wetsuit again in our waters? Nope. First, I like being dry. I love drygloves (no wrinkled fingertips). I love changing from dry undergarments. I'm also too old to like the cold anymore. Heck - I even have a heated vest that I'm about to use tomorrow (first time since last winter). I dove last Tuesday and it was just too cold to go without it anymore this year.

There is so much drama around the pee valve, most of it unnecessary. .

Unnecessary is the operative word.

I have never had the need for any of that specialized equipment, in forty-plus years of diving in cold water with either dry or wetsuits. A bit of proper planning; regularly hitting the head; and that dry air and activity causing vasopressin (antidiuretic hormone) to kick in, solves a myriad of problems, regardless of water temperature.

All of that glad-handing old crap about "planning your dive" and "diving your plan" doesn't extend to preemptively taking a leak before hitting the water?

Further, any lengthy ride back, in either truck or boat, doesn't then reek like the f**king urinal troughs at Pac Bell Park . . .

One thing I had on my old drysuit was a pee zipper.
I have one on my brand new suit too. Very handy for rear entry models, lets me keep the suit zipped up all day long.

I was surprised at how few operators there are on the site. Really just Gods Pocket, Hornby, and a few shops that sometimes run a boat on the weekend. Hideaway and Nautilus Swell are gone. Ogden Point used to be almost a mini resort by itself. Is the industry contracting that much?

As for dry suits vs. wet suits, the first thing to remember is that a proper wet suit for our conditions is 7mm farmer john plus jacket, giving you 14mm over the core.

I dove a wetsuit for my open waters many years ago in March on the Sunshine Coast, and then for the entire spring & summer until Aug when I took my AOW and then bought my first drysuit. After the OW, the spring/summer was all diving in Lake Minnewanka AB, which is a glacier fed VERY COLD lake year-round. <brrrr>

The thing about wetsuits that I found is they are just fine for 1 dive. It's the surface interval that starts chilling you, and then the second dive is misery. Also (don't ask how I know) - the worst thing you can do with a wetsuit is get in a hot tub to warm up between dives wearing the wetsuit. The dive after is almost guaranteed hypothermia because all the blood vessels are wide open thanks to the hot tub.

Would I dive wetsuit again in our waters? Nope. First, I like being dry. I love drygloves (no wrinkled fingertips). I love changing from dry undergarments. I'm also too old to like the cold anymore. Heck - I even have a heated vest that I'm about to use tomorrow (first time since last winter). I dove last Tuesday and it was just too cold to go without it anymore this year.

Hot tubs aren't recommended after a dive, in any event.

Unnecessary is the operative word.

I have never had the need for any of that specialized equipment, in forty-plus years of diving in cold water with either dry or wetsuits. A bit of proper planning; regularly hitting the head; and that dry air and activity causing vasopressin (antidiuretic hormone) to kick in, solves a myriad of problems, regardless of water temperature.

All of that glad-handing old crap about "planning your dive" and "diving your plan" doesn't extend to preemptively taking a leak before hitting the water?

Further, any lengthy ride back, in either truck or boat, doesn't reek like the f**king urinal troughs at Pac Bell Park . . .

Once your run time hits 180 minutes the Pee valve is the best investment you have made

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom