Wow! Someone has figured out how to market diving!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Once your run time hits 180 minutes the Pee valve is the best investment you have made

It has on a number of occasions; and I have been happy enough to be back on the boat, having found it unnecessary to piss myself; or my gear, for that matter . . .

Don’t forget about Rendezvous Dive Resort on the west coast of the island

Other shops with boats are (on the island)
Nanaimo Dive Outfitters/Shepard
UB Diving
Pacific Pro Dive

Rockfish are selling their boats, I don’t know if they’re getting out of the charter side or upgrading... it’s pretty hard operating a boat when there is so much awesome shore diving!

Sea Dragon used to have a boat in Nanaimo, but she sadly started taking on water in dock a few seasons ago, with no plans on resurrecting it.

Ogden Point Diving is gone, the restaurant made it harder to dive and park there. No more rinse tank beside the shop, but the diving is still great there.

_R

I have one on my brand new suit too. Very handy for rear entry models, lets me keep the suit zipped up all day long.

I was surprised at how few operators there are on the site. Really just Gods Pocket, Hornby, and a few shops that sometimes run a boat on the weekend. Hideaway and Nautilus Swell are gone. Ogden Point used to be almost a mini resort by itself. Is the industry contracting that much?

The thing about wetsuits that I found is they are just fine for 1 dive. It's the surface interval that starts chilling you, and then the second dive is misery.
This. I know exactly one person in my local community who dives wet. While the rest of us just chill (yes I know, bad choice of word) in our nice, warm, fluffy undersuits - or with the drysuit pulled down to the waist - he has to struggle to warm up, and to stay warm during the SI.

When the water is 5C and it's below freezing topside, you can have my drysuit when you pry it from my cold, dead hands. With a good (i.e. wool) wicking layer, a decent undersuit, drygloves and a good hood, the only thing that sucks with diving in 4-5C water is the 15 seconds of brain freeze when you jump in.

Unnecessary is the operative word.

I have never had the need for any of that specialized equipment, in forty-plus years of diving in cold water with either dry or wetsuits. A bit of proper planning; regularly hitting the head; and that dry air and activity causing vasopressin (antidiuretic hormone) to kick in, solves a myriad of problems, regardless of water temperature.

All of that glad-handing old crap about "planning your dive" and "diving your plan" doesn't extend to preemptively taking a leak before hitting the water?

Further, any lengthy ride back, in either truck or boat, doesn't then reek like the f**king urinal troughs at Pac Bell Park . . .

You must be young, or lucky. Wait until you age and the ol' prostate starts getting larger. Then only the pee valve will save your dives from 'accidents'.

I did 90min today and the surface was colder than the water. It was my first time since spring using the heated vest, and I only turned it on at 60min to make sure it was working well. (it was!) :)

The weather took a bit of a turn while I was in so changing after the dive was probably the worst part of the day. Fortunately hot chocolate comes to the rescue. :)

You must be young, or lucky. Wait until you age and the ol' prostate starts getting larger.

I am 74. No way I could regularly dive dry and avoid accidents without a pee valve. I dive wet essentially all the time. Did 4 dives out of Vancouver in 49 degree water. Rented a 10/14 wet suit. Was very comfortable.

I am 74. No way I could regularly dive dry and avoid accidents without a pee valve. I dive wet essentially all the time. Did 4 dives out of Vancouver in 49 degree water. Rented a 10/14 wet suit. Was very comfortable.

What month of the year you did that? Did you remove your wetsuit between dives?

What month of the year you did that? Did you remove your wetsuit between dives?
It was July. No, I left it on which is what I usually do since when I cold water dive the air is also cool. Pull hood back it was attached to wetsuit. But then I had a rain coat to toss over the wet suit to stop evaporation if that was an issue. Two days of shore dives, 2 dive a day. Top 10 ft a dense algae bloom but 30 or so foot of viz below that. The inverts were amazing. Air temp maybe 60. Each dive about an hour long.

Reactions: Dan
It was July. No, I left it on which is what I usually do since when I cold water dive the air is also cool. Pull hood back it was attached to wetsuit. But then I had a rain coat to toss over the wet suit to stop evaporation if that was an issue. Two days of shore dives, 2 dive a day. Top 10 ft a dense algae bloom but 30 or so foot of viz below that. The inverts were amazing. Air temp maybe 60. Each dive about an hour long.

Do you think you could do similar routine in October, when the water is less greenish and the air is more cooler?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom