WP-DC34 Shutter Button Half-Pressed Around 15m

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divinh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm finding that the housing WP-DC34 for the Canon G12 tends to half-press the shutter button around 15m. (The focus assist magnifier pops up.) This pretty much locks out all setting changes, though I did find I was able to change the ISO by powering down and up again, otherwise the ISO dial is ignored. I'm guessing the spring for the shutter button is too weak against the pressure.

Has anyone encountered this problem with the WP-DC34?

Is there a fix?

Does the Meikon housing perform better?

I have experienced this with a couple of Canon housings after repeated usage without cleaning up the O-rings.
Try cleaning up the o-rings and grease them properly. It should resolve the issue; if not, it means the case has reached the end of its shelf life I am afraid. Doubt the Meikon would be any better ....

I have experienced this with a couple of Canon housings after repeated usage without cleaning up the O-rings.
Try cleaning up the o-rings and grease them properly. It should resolve the issue; if not, it means the case has reached the end of its shelf life I am afraid. Doubt the Meikon would be any better ....

Are you talking about the individual button o-rings? How do you go about greasing them and ensure that things are still sealed tight afterward? The button o-rings don't seem easily removed.

Are you talking about the individual button o-rings? How do you go about greasing them and ensure that things are still sealed tight afterward? The button o-rings don't seem easily removed.

I tend to use a tooth pick which helps introducing some grease into the tiny holes of the individual buttons. After the grease is in I press them multiple times in order for the grease to spread if possible to all the surface of the buttons. You are right, the button o-rings cannot be removed ... I was referring earlier to the main o-ring.

I tend to use a tooth pick which helps introducing some grease into the tiny holes of the individual buttons. After the grease is in I press them multiple times in order for the grease to spread if possible to all the surface of the buttons. You are right, the button o-rings cannot be removed ... I was referring earlier to the main o-ring.

Thanks for the tip with the buttons. I think I want the shutter button to be more stiff.

For the main o-ring, I lubricate it diligently, before each day's dive. I store it separately in a Ziploc, to prevent stretching and retaining flexibility.

Back
Top Bottom