Wrapping Up Coz IDs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bmorescuba

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

Before I post my Cozumel Invasion picture gallery, I just want to make sure about a few IDs.

The first image (Cozumel, ~35fsw) - my best guess is White Margate. I thought it was a Porgy of some kind when I snapped it, but looking through my books, Margate seems closer. The ID is hard because of the front-on view, but I like the pic:

IMG_1775.jpg

These next two were real shallow (Cozumel, ~20fsw). I can't be 100% sure of what is hanging out with the Bluestriped grunts. It seems like Mahogany Snapper in the second pic, but both pics are of the same group of fish and in the first one, the other silver fish don't look as Mahogany Snapper-ish....

#1 IMG_2146.jpg #2 IMG_2223.jpg

This last one I was very excited to find (Cozumel, ~40fsw). It was among many things I saw for the first time in Coz. Dark Mantis Shrimp? My Shrimp ID skills leave much to be desired.

IMG_2274.jpg

Thanks for any feedback.

-bmorescuba

You're correct about your Margate. Porgy is a much higher profile fish, larger, and here they do not have any black. Also, most Porgies are solitary. This is a grunt, so your choice would have been between Sailor's Choice and Margate. Small eye and subtle scale pattern say Margate.

There are both grey and mahogany snappers in #1. The mahogany's tail border is always wide enough to be a significant trait, whether it looks red or black to the human eye. Don't let a reddish tail edge -- as per some of the greys in photo #2 -- confuse you.

Picture one would be a Mutton Snapper Lutjanis analis on the left and White Margate Haemulon album on the right. Picture two, I agree with Deborah, has Mahogany snappers Lutjanus mahogoni towards the bottom and Grey Snapper Lutjanus griseus towards the top, and mostly (if not all) greys in the third.

Thanks to all for the help. Humann & Deloach says about the Gray Snapper: "Often no distinguishing features", so I don't feel too bad :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom