Wreck Bucket List?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Any wreck in what was Truk. It's not really a bucket list item because I don't have one and it'll never happen but, if I had a bucket list that would be #1 on it.

What a DISMAL article... Should have been entitled "A novice diver's guide to the only 10 wrecks I've ever seen". I'm guessing the author; (1) is an American and (2) took short vacations in Malta and the Red Sea whilst still holding only an OW card...

#10 Frigate 356, Cayman Brac -
A personality-devoid artificial reef project to keep the insta-crowds of holiday divers happy. Might make an okay wreck training site, but so devoid of character that I'd pass on it..

#9 Unnamed Yacht, Egyptian Red Sea - Really? A fibreglass yacht? I've seen better wrecks in quarries...

#8 Sweepstakes, Tobermory, Ontario - To be fair, the article doesn't state these are the best "diving" wrecks. This seems quite valueless for divers.

#7 Russian Wreck, South Egyptian Red Sea - Worth a sneak-a-peak, but I see nothing "bucket list" about this vessel.

#6 USS Utah, Pearl Harbor - Irrelevant for divers. Has some emotional context to Americans and military historians.

#5 P29, Malta - A sterilized hulk sunk for holiday divers. Article doesn't even know the history...

#4 USS Arizona, Pearl Harbor - See "#6"

#3 Giannis D, Egyptian Red Sea - Would be a decent dive, if not for the swarms of Russian divers. Raped tourist traps aren't for me, so I'll pass for my bucket list. And it's just 'another' Maru... I've dived a hundred of better interest..

#2 Tugboat Rozi, Malta - Another sterilized, purpose-sunk tourist pleaser. Zero credit for anyone's bucket list IMHO.

#1 Prince Albert, Roatan, Honduras - A looted and scuppered refugee ship. At No.#1? Seriously?

For the record, I wouldn't put anything on my personal bucket list that has been dove before.

Chuuk (formerly Truk) Lagoon... amazing, amazing! I spent a week there and am scheming up ways to go back. That article has some nice ones, but I don't know about the "Most Incredible" label.

A must do wreck for me is one that tells an epic story. Examples:
Battle of Sunda Strait - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Captain Albert Rooks USS Houston
Captain Hector Waller HMAS Perth

Great and sobering WWII histories about the last stand of these two doomed warships, HMAS Perth and the USS Houston, the last of the ill-fated & short-lived ABDA (American-British-Dutch-Australian) Fleet. The survivors were taken as POW's by the Japanese to work on the most infamous civil engineering project in history --The Thai-Burma Railway and the "Bridge over River Kwai". . .

The allure and fun of wreck diving is not just merely researching the history for academic sake, but actually diving down yourself and vicariously reliving the history as you would imagine how it might've actually happened. . .

HMAS Perth & USS Houston, dive-able in 30m of water, in poor to fair viz at depth with current, but with a compelling heroic story that justifies a visit:
http://www.asiadivers.com/techasia/Java.pdf

The Britannica is the only dive on my bucket list at the moment and I know that the chances of me ever diving it as very very very slim.

The Britannica is the only dive on my bucket list at the moment and I know that the chances of me ever diving it as very very very slim.

Britannica is an encyclopedia. The Britanic was the sister ship of Titanic and is diveable on special expeditions. Lusitania is another but is privately owned and permission is not forthcoming. And the Victoria off Lebanon is the only vertical wreck, but again needs special permission. I'll probably never get to any of these, but if I get the chance I'll be sure to let you know. Otherwise you'll just have to come north some time.

And the Victoria off Lebanon is the only vertical wreck, .

Not quite, there is a Russian dreadnought that lies vertical, along with Ann Arbor 5 in Lake Michigan, and some U-boat in the North Sea.

I would say most of mine are in the Great Lakes, but I would like to see the Doria, Britannic, Scapa Flow, Truk Lagoon, some wrecks in the Baltic, and some European fresh water wrecks. And when I feel like freezing my you know what's off, maybe Lake Baikal in Russia.

Back
Top Bottom