Wreck diving in BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Darcimus

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey guys. Several parts to this question, so I might as well begin with the background: Flatlander (Saskatchewan) looking to do some wreck diving in BC. HMCS Saskatchewan is kind of a bucket list item for me, just because. Not interested in stopping there, though.....

Newer diver, just got OW in January of 2017. Working through PADI Advanced right now, just need check out dives this year. Going to Mexico in December and I'll probably be on the coast again in February/March 2019.

Been watching some videos of wreck dives. Seems like a lot of people dive doubles, which is probably a good idea seeing as most of the wrecks seem to be about 100 feet deep. Could I dive with a bigger steel single? I'm sort of a big breather. An AL80 will last me about an hour in a 13 foot deep pool doing work on skills (deploying a DSMB or mask clearing, fartin' around, etc.) so I'm wondering if tech (doubles) training is the way to go or if I should just go nitrox on a big single. Any advice? The big single (especially SS) would come in handy around here....just sayin....but so would doubles (a lot of guys do Diefenbaker in doubles).

Also been thinking about a BP/W rig, not because it's what the cool kids get, but because it's modular. I do some tropical diving, and I'm planning on doing more, so a SS backplate and 18# wing seems to be what I'll be going for. For wreck diving in BC, what'd the best option? AL/SS? How big of a wing should I be looking at if i'm about 240#? I'd like to get rid of this jacket-style BC (AquaLung Axiom i3) for a few reasons: (1) it makes it hard to breathe when I'm on the surface, and (2) I've knocked the LP hose off inadvertently without knowing, which made one lake dive very interesting when I got a cramp towards the end of the dive).

Been to the local dive site and it's pretty silty so visibility sucks a fat one, but my weighting in a 7/8 Pinnacle suit is 30 lbs. Unless my computer is drunk, I've been in 32 degree water with that suit, and (1) I never felt a temperature change when I passed through the thermocline, and (b) I dove for about 38 minutes below the line and didn't feel anything. I'm a bit of a furnace, yeah. It's been mentioned that I may need a dry suit for BC diving, but I'm not sure about that. My current heavy suit seems to be doing the trick.

I know I'm new, but please no rude comments. I'm tryign to learn and everywhere I turn there's tons of information and no real consensus. Hoping the BC divers can help.

You are on the right path.....most of the wrecks here can be done on a single, usually steel 100’s or 120’s. If you are penetrating the decks those are a bit deeper so require more and redundant air. But, lots to see in the 70-100’ depth on most of the wrecks.

Now, if your planning to come out here you are gonna want to dive dry, step 1. Do not dive deep in a thick wetsuit.
Step 2, Nitrox is also a very good idea as is a pony bottle ( you’ve mentioned you’re a big breather).

Yes, go with a Backplate and wing, very common here. There are a hundred reasons why and I think you are starting to see why. If you can do a weight estimate that will ballpark your wing lift. Probably 30-40 lbs of lift. Once you’ve got a backplate then you can mod it as your diving changes, doubles, singles, warm or cold water etc.

Take your time, go slow and enjoy.

Yes, the (older) ARSBC wrecks are deeper (~90-100ft to the top decks) such as the Sask and Cape Breton. The Annapolis just near West Vancouver is much shallower (the newest wreck).

You can dive the wrecks on single tanks, but you will have shorter dives, so a larger steel tank would be an advantage (A steel HP130 holds almost twice as much gas as an AL80).

There are also ARSBC wrecks to the north and south of Nanaimo (where the Sask/CB are). Out of Campbell River there is the Columbia, Chemanus has the Bowing 737, and there are a few down (GB Church, Mackenzie) in the Victoria area.

Lots of great diving all over the coasts as well.

Drysuits are preferable for multiple dives in a day (typically charters are based on 2 dives unless advertised differently) ... having said that, I consider the PNW to be 'warm water' diving compared to my usual freshwater diving.

BP/W is great, modular as you said, and less constrictive when setup properly ... In tropics I use either an AL or SS plate ... 3mm in Caribbean with a SS plate and AL tank, you may need a pound or two, with an AL plate you will need 4-6lbs.

Freshwater/Drysuit, I dive an AL plate with doubles, and for Saltwater, usually a SS plate with doubles.

Freshwater/Saltwater in drysuit with singles ... SS plate all the way ...

As for doubles vs single tanks, that is a large factor in what you are doing on the dive ... Penetration? well, you would require a redundant gas source, which doubles fits the bill nicely. Decompression diving? Again, you would require redundancy, which it again provides...

Another benefit to doubles, is that you can generally drop a lot of lead weight ... however, now you rig is ~twice as heavy out of the water!

_R

Yeah I totally forgot about neoprene compression at depth. Likely will buy a drysuit before long. Manufacturer of the suit I have (Pinnacle) said it's ok to dive deep in because of the merino liner, but I probably won't try it.

I do want to try it on an ice dive though. Thermocline at the local lake was at 13 feet. First dive in the new suit took us down to 35' and I felt nothing, not even the temperature change.

Yeah I totally forgot about neoprene compression at depth. Likely will buy a drysuit before long. Manufacturer of the suit I have (Pinnacle) said it's ok to dive deep in because of the merino liner, but I probably won't try it.

I do want to try it on an ice dive though. Thermocline at the local lake was at 13 feet. First dive in the new suit took us down to 35' and I felt nothing, not even the temperature change.
Neoprene drysuits are still far better than wet as you can still adjust the air not as ideal as a laminate due to the compression but still fine.

I make two annual trips out there from Edmonton, and have dove HMCS Saskatchewan many times. Backplate vs. poodle jacket is not so important, but you will absolutely want a drysuit and a 100' - 120' steel tank. Going wet is possible but the second dive is no fun, and having fun is the whole point of being there. A single Al80 is not enough, and double Al80s are too much; a big steel and perhaps a pony are the sweet spot. If you're in the area don't miss the Rivtow Lion and the sea lions on Norris Rocks! If you give one a pass, make it the plane: vis is always bad.

I'll also take the opportunity to shill my dive guide: Jack Madro at 1(250)208-4920. He operates out of Sidney and has always treated me right, I took this pic on one of his tours.
I Was There 2015.JPG

And is there anything to see in Lake Diefenbaker? I've seen pictures of the rail bridge before it was flooded, it it still there? I'll be in the area in a few months, and might do some solo if it was shallow and straightforward...

Last edited:
You will need your advanced to get to the deck of either of the large Nanaimo wrecks (Saskatchewan or Cape Breton), the Chemainus 737 or the wreck at China Creek near Port Alberni. You can get to the deck of the Rivtow Lion (sunken tug) with just the OW.

All but the China Creek wreck are boat dives. Shepherd Charters (associated with Nanaimo Dive Outfitters) goes to the wrecks quite often and is a great charter.

Hey guys. Several parts to this question, so I might as well begin with the background: Flatlander (Saskatchewan) looking to do some wreck diving in BC. HMCS Saskatchewan is kind of a bucket list item for me, just because. Not interested in stopping there, though.....

Newer diver, just got OW in January of 2017. Working through PADI Advanced right now, just need check out dives this year. Going to Mexico in December and I'll probably be on the coast again in February/March 2019.

Been watching some videos of wreck dives. Seems like a lot of people dive doubles, which is probably a good idea seeing as most of the wrecks seem to be about 100 feet deep. Could I dive with a bigger steel single? I'm sort of a big breather. An AL80 will last me about an hour in a 13 foot deep pool doing work on skills (deploying a DSMB or mask clearing, fartin' around, etc.) so I'm wondering if tech (doubles) training is the way to go or if I should just go nitrox on a big single. Any advice? The big single (especially SS) would come in handy around here....just sayin....but so would doubles (a lot of guys do Diefenbaker in doubles).

Also been thinking about a BP/W rig, not because it's what the cool kids get, but because it's modular. I do some tropical diving, and I'm planning on doing more, so a SS backplate and 18# wing seems to be what I'll be going for. For wreck diving in BC, what'd the best option? AL/SS? How big of a wing should I be looking at if i'm about 240#? I'd like to get rid of this jacket-style BC (AquaLung Axiom i3) for a few reasons: (1) it makes it hard to breathe when I'm on the surface, and (2) I've knocked the LP hose off inadvertently without knowing, which made one lake dive very interesting when I got a cramp towards the end of the dive).

Been to the local dive site and it's pretty silty so visibility sucks a fat one, but my weighting in a 7/8 Pinnacle suit is 30 lbs. Unless my computer is drunk, I've been in 32 degree water with that suit, and (1) I never felt a temperature change when I passed through the thermocline, and (b) I dove for about 38 minutes below the line and didn't feel anything. I'm a bit of a furnace, yeah. It's been mentioned that I may need a dry suit for BC diving, but I'm not sure about that. My current heavy suit seems to be doing the trick.

I know I'm new, but please no rude comments. I'm tryign to learn and everywhere I turn there's tons of information and no real consensus. Hoping the BC divers can help.
Try the church it's a cool dive on a old freighter... Really big rock cods and under hull there are sometimes leggy guys.. Easy dive and usually pretty mild currents

I make two annual trips out there from Edmonton, and have dove HMCS Saskatchewan many times. Backplate vs. poodle jacket is not so important, but you will absolutely want a drysuit and a 100' - 120' steel tank. Going wet is possible but the second dive is no fun, and having fun is the whole point of being there. A single Al80 is not enough, and double Al80s are too much; a big steel and perhaps a pony are the sweet spot. If you're in the area don't miss the Rivtow Lion and the sea lions on Norris Rocks! If you give one a pass, make it the plane: vis is always bad.

I'll also take the opportunity to shill my dive guide: Jack Madro at 1(250)208-4920. He operates out of Sidney and has always treated me right, I took this pic on one of his tours.View attachment 447088

And is there anything to see in Lake Diefenbaker? I've seen pictures of the rail bridge before it was flooded, it it still there? I'll be in the area in a few months, and might do some solo if it was shallow and straightforward...

George at The Diving Center in Saskatoon can steer you in the right way as far as Diefenbaker goes. I haven't been there yet, just got my OW last January and haven't done much local diving other than pools and a smaller lake around Regina. I hear there is an underwater forest from before the dam went in. Should probably be a few things like that. And I hear the area around the dam itself is cool.

Working on the drysuit. Damn these things aren't cheap. And likely picking up a HP 120 this week also and a pony some time before I do the deep dive, which I hope will be this summer.

My thoughts. You will get more out of the wrecks with a tech cert than without. They can probably be done on singles but I've only ever done them on doubles or RB.

Get a drysuit.

SS plate is my preference but I use an Al for travel to the tropics as weight is at a premium when flying. An 18# wing is too small. If you want one I'll sell you mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom