Wreck diving in Martinique

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rhone Man

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was browsing a book on Caribbean diving and was stunned to read about the amount of wreck diving (and deep wreck diving) in Martinique. I had never heard of it as a wreck diving destination.

Has anyone had a chance to dive any of the Martinique wrecks?

The Martinique Shipwreck Directory  Caribbean Shipwrecks

You should probably contact a dive shop on Martinique because they are on the French system, which is much different than the PADI or NAUI system. Most likely for any diving you do, you will be required to be accompanied by a local DM. They may or may not be willing to take you wrecks, or deep wrecks, depending on their rules.

I spent 2 weeks In St Pierre when I was a cmas **. I was then limited to 40m, but still enjoyed the dives (not only wrecks but also walls, canyons and such in the area).
I'm going back there for another two weeks this January.
Now I'll be able to dive on the Roraima, which is reported as on of the most beautiful wreck of the area, at least on air (55m depth), and also on trimix if I can manage that.
Unfortunately, I will have to wait for Tamaya, as I'm only officially qualified to dive to 70m on trimix, whereas Tamaya lies at 85m.
There's also supposed to be a few shallow (30m to 40m) nice wrecks in the south of the island, such at the Nahoon or the Sikorsky (a flying boat sunk in 1945). I haven't been there yet.

Regarding your dive certification, you'd better contact the locals clubs beforehand, to know how you'll be treated (and several of them, as all might not do the same thing). I just don't know, especially for deeper wrecks. It should definitively help you to be effectively TDI qualified, as this agency is part of CMAS, and well recognized.

I spent 2 weeks In St Pierre when I was a cmas **. I was then limited to 40m, but still enjoyed the dives (not only wrecks but also walls, canyons and such in the area).
I'm going back there for another two weeks this January.
Now I'll be able to dive on the Roraima, which is reported as on of the most beautiful wreck of the area, at least on air (55m depth), and also on trimix if I can manage that.
Unfortunately, I will have to wait for Tamaya, as I'm only officially qualified to dive to 70m on trimix, whereas Tamaya lies at 85m.
There's also supposed to be a few shallow (30m to 40m) nice wrecks in the south of the island, such at the Nahoon or the Sikorsky (a flying boat sunk in 1945). I haven't been there yet.

Regarding your dive certification, you'd better contact the locals clubs beforehand, to know how you'll be treated (and several of them, as all might not do the same thing). I just don't know, especially for deeper wrecks. It should definitively help you to be effectively TDI qualified, as this agency is part of CMAS, and well recognized.

Thanks - very helpful. Which local operator did you dive with? Is English widely spoken? Mon Français est faible!

Thanks - very helpful. Which local operator did you dive with? Is English widely spoken? Mon FraníÂis est faible!
I used UCPA, which is nice and easy for a French. And quite cheap too (500-600 euros/week, for 10 boat dives, food (quite good), shared bedroom (2 per room, bathroom in suite), equipment, guide. Discount available if you don't need a guide and/or if you have your own equipment. Price available on their website include plane from France, but you can book a week without the transport (it's what I do).
I just don't know how well they speak English there. But UCPA is mostly a French speaking group of sports holidays for youg adults (up to 40 years, in fact this limit is quite often not respected for activities like diving, sailing, etc, but you need to be not old in mind). From times to times, I've seen English speakers (on sailing live aboard, through, and they were speaking at least some French). The english portion of their website is indigent. I don't know what is their politic regarding to non-cmas higher levels of certification.

This is however not a tek dive center. It will just be some rec dive (in french acception, that is up to 60m on air, dive level permitting).
If needed, I have their e-mail.

Last edited:
That's really helpful, thanks. I may PM you if I decide to make the trip down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom