Wreck Diving Reel

Which reel brand do you prefer for a wreck dive?

• Halycon

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Light Monkey

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Spectrum (The Reeler)

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Manta

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Salvo

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

soltari675

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am getting really into wreck diving and I have been reading the forum here for opinions on a good primary reel. The information has been helpful, and so I wanted to start a poll to kinda group the information. What I am asking is, what is your first preference, not including cost, for a reel if you were to do a wreck dive? Thanks so much.

If you don't mind, please tell me why you chose the reel you did. What I am looking for is:

Weight
Durability (Will it break easy if I drop it?)
Dependability (jams, line strength, etc)
Usability (Size, easy to use with gloves, etc)

Last edited:
Had a Manta.

Sold it.

Had a Dive Rite.

Sold it.

Have a Halcyon.

Haven't sold it.

Have used a Light Monkey.

Wouldn't sell it (very similar to the Halcyon).

The DiveRite Sidewinder would be ok too, but it doesn't look as well built as the Halcyon/Light Monkey.

Don't wreck dive too much any more[caves]but would/have used the Spectrum as my primary[replaced the original line w/a high viz lighter line]...Used several others over the years and found them to be NON-user friendly....I also have a large side winder which is sold under different names...The only reason I keep it is because it holds alot of line[replaced the original line on that too] but ergonomically the handle makes no sense, especially when holding a light [poorly thought out design] and I'm not a fan of me adjusting to equipment...Equipment should be user/ergonomically friendly.....Even the Spectrum reel which I'm happy w/could be 'tweeked". [I responded to a similar thread earlier and mentioned some design changes in the hope that Spectrum would pick up on them].....But of all the reels I've used/tried Spectrum is my favorite.......

Tried the Halcyon and Light Monkey and could not get my fingers into the handle. I guess they are designed for small children. Plus I have seen two break on Rhibs when tanks were put down on them.
In the end I bought from Kent Tooling. They really are built to last and the quality is just stunning. Adjustable handles and line guide. I now have a 50m and 100m ratchet reels and a 125m wreck reel.

I have Dive Rite sidewinder now but will moving to Manta's. I don't like the ribbed design of the dive rite spools. At DEMA I looked at the new Manta's and the basic black sidewinders are made from a material the maker says you can run over with a car and in a few days it will go back into it's normal shape. The material has a memory. Supposedly will deform rather than break and go back to its original shape. I am in the process of deciding which ones I want and how many since I plan on selling them to my students as well. And since most of our stuff up here is quarries and lake wrecks vs caves I prefer a heavier line like #36 on my reels except for the one I use for SMB shooting. Standard cave line #24 is ok for that IMO.

I have never liked Dive Rite reels. I have a small one for jumps but prefer not to use it. I like sidewinder reels in general. I have a couple Ralph Hood/Larry Green reels I like. The pricing is pretty good on them, particularly if you buy them directly from Larry Green.

Kent Tooling reels from the UK generally have a very good reputation. Maybe an alternative? Not used one myself but they are spoken of quite highly on the UK forums

Manta Sr with Cave Cam fitted, holds 330' of #36, durable, reliable, never had even a hint of backlash, I find it very easy to use

People seem to either love or hate Side-handle reels - I don't love them

No option in the poll for a finger spool?

Given that recreational wreck penetration has many limitation in respect of penetration, especially in regards to distance (max linear distance from surface 40m/130ft), there really isn't much need to spend $$$'s on a high capacity penetration reel.

A 50m/164' finger spool is more than sufficient for penetration at that level of technicality. The advantages are that it is very easy to carry and deploy.... and it is very cheap. The value of the reel has an important role in potential dive safety. It adds safety, but can also cause significant safety issues. The dollar value of the reel is one of those issues. More than a few scuba divers have died because they've made bad decisions and taken extra risks to retrieve expensive equipment.

When penetrating wrecks, there's always a chance of silt-out and high stress. Under those circumstances, you'll be aborting the penetration and leaving the wreck. A small fumble with the reel, a tangle, a tie-off that you can't remove easily, a highly stressed diver, a low-on-air diver..any glitch...and, all of a sudden, your reel can become a liability that delays your exit. You should always be prepared to leave your reel/line in place and exit immediately, if safety demands it. Sometimes you might not be able to return that day to recover your reel. With that in mind, how much mental determination do you possess, where you can 'write-off' an expensive reel in trade for safety?

I've learned to view penetration reels as 'disposable'.... certainly for recreational diving. I've got a few expensive high-capacity reels, but I won't use them unless the dive/penetration plan demands it. Having completed 000's of recreational wreck penetrations, I've yet to encounter a dive plan that demanded a high-capacity reel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom