Wreck HMS Hermes in Sri Lanka

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Kevin,
Best regards from the boat Capt.Vincent. I told them that you are on stand by for a trip.
Hope you can make it.
sport.diving

HI divers,

The wreck hms hermes is in the east coast of Sri Lanka. (Batticaloa) The distance from the air port is about 300 km. The entire road is now complete. We can drive in five hours. Things are getting better.
happy diving
sport.diving

For anyone looking at doing some world class deep wreck penetration, then he Hermes has it. It is one of the best wreck diving destionations i have ever been to and i cant wait to get back.

If you want any particular information about the experience, please just PM me. I will be more than happy to help you out.

Thanks so much to all the guys there, with particular mention to Feli. Feli went out of his way to ensure that all my divers had a truly unforgetable experience, and that everyone was safe at all time while diving.

THANKS AGAIN... :wink:

HI divers,

Two groups from Tec asia dived the hermes and one more from Australia. Conditions were excellent.
Vis 30m plus. NO current. Water Temp 30 C. A few more groups are expected within the next few months.
Very good marine life. Last few dives we saw the largest grouper. MOre than 2m in length.
Happly diving

Feli

HI Carl

It will be our pleasure to see you in Aug/Sept 2011. We are ready to provide our services to you and to your group.
best regards
Feli

Hi divers,

The Season in the East coast of Sri lanka is over. We intend to re commence dives to the Wreck HMS Hermes during the first week of April 2012. The Deep Sea Resort is ready to provide services to Tec divers.

Sri Lanka diving tours will offer three more world war wrecks. MFA ATHELSTANE, HOLYHOK AND THE WRECK NEAR MAANKERNI.

Happy diving

9th of April 1942 - 74th Year after sinking of the Wreck Hermes
9th of April 1942, just 74 years ago, bombing and sinking of the wreck HMS Hermes the world's first purpose built air craft carrier off the East coast of Sri Lanka (Batticaloa) by the Japanese imperial naval fleet lead by vice admiral Nagumo Gucci was described as the most dangerous moments of the 2nd world war by Late sir Vinston Churchill.
Now the wreck has found her final resting place at a resounding depth of 53m beneath sea 8.5 km from the coast.
HMS Hermes lost Her Valiant capt. R.J.Onslaw, 19 brave officers 282 marines. from the battle which didn't last long. HMS Hermes was not ready for battle. she was sailing towards Gan islands accompanied the Australian destroyer HMAS Vampire.
As per eye witness Mr. Prince Casinader a 16 year old youth, later who became a member of the parliament, after his long stint as the Principal of the Methodist college of Batticaloa. Hd the following to say.
About 80 - 100 carrier borne air crafts from the Japanese Naval fleet (three air craft carriers and two battle ships) took to the skies off the eastern coast of Ceylon and engaged the Target.
Japanese fighter air crafts were like angry bees - bombing the defense less Hermes.
when the first bomb fell on the deck of HMS Hermes the water loo started."
Unquote.
Mr. Prince Casinader further went on saying that on the 12th Of April three days after the sinking of the Hermes, three heavily decomposed bodies of three sailors, L.B Lewis, Vatcher and one un known sailor (His identification sign was missing) were found a shore.
Mr Casinader's father the Muddier of the land registry had effected burial at the Trincomalee wae emetry.
Few weeks later Mr. Casinader senior had received many letters of Mothers of the sailors missing in action asking whether the unidentified body could be of their son.
In 2012 a daughter of a survivor requested me to place some flowers on the wreck.
this year Tomorrow (9th of April) we will do for the 5th time.
Last year a team of tec CCR divers lead by Mark Powell brought a flag from the British Admiralty naval college and placed it on the range finder. I dived the wreck with some dive tour operators and the flag was on the wreck.
so far during the last five years more than 200 Australian tec divers dived the wreck guided by me.
Let's take a minute to remember the brave soldiers who sacrificed their life during the 2nd world war.
Feli
master instructor
Tec deep instructor

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom