Wreck Interior Lighting/Composition

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with the exposure (manual settings, etc) for the interior of this wreck? I would like to reduce the hotspots and capture a diver inside with a torch. Any cool composition ideas I can confer to my model? (Any models?) I like this wreck at midday for the sunbeam effect but have never captured the shot with a diver......
If anyone plans light penetration to The Sea Tiger, I am interested in that shot as well.

also, would increasing my ISO help?

catherine96821:
Can anyone help me with the exposure (manual settings, etc) for the interior of this wreck? I would like to reduce the hotspots and capture a diver inside with a torch. Any cool composition ideas I can confer to my model? (Any models?) I like this wreck at midday for the sunbeam effect but have never captured the shot with a diver......
If anyone plans light penetration to The Sea Tiger, I am interested in that shot as well.

also, would increasing my ISO help?

What was your exposures?

To capture rays you need a high shutter speed, I start with at least 1/250 but usually end up using 1/500 or more, depends on the effects I'm looking for. You can avoid the blowout in that third shot by not having the opening in the shot. Change your angle where you're just barely missing it or only have an edge of it in the shot.

A higher shutter will also help with the diver with inside with a light. Experiment with the f/stops to get the DOF you want but I'd start with f/4.

catherine

if i were going to be in hawaii anytime soon i would volunteer but paramedic school is keeping the gills dry for now.

on your set up to do have some strobes? if so i would try Dees suggestion but take the strobes and point them toward the ceiling(or behind you) to bounce them off to get some fill and would allow for a high shutter speed.

the main problem with the light rays coming in is that they are going to be so many stops above the light inside that its going to be very heard not to blow them out (or nearly so), so it may be best to go with some fill.

Tooth

catherine96821:
Can anyone help me with the exposure (manual settings, etc) for the interior of this wreck?
It looks like this is the same wreck as in your avatar. That is one of the coolest pictures inside a wreck I have seen. I intended to send a PM earlier today asking about it. Got distracted somehow.

Willie

just my $0.02 but i LIKE the overexposure - makes the image more dramatic.... the last picture above is not near as dramatic as the first 3....

again, just my $0.02

thanks, all. I would like to get a "tech diver" face illuminated in a penetration shot. I see images I like with the light beams from a dive-light. I like wrecks with "the Bones" illuminated and wish I had gotten to shoot the Rhone.....I can still see the rib-like supports, looking like a fillet.

I will try the faster shutter speed, Dee. I will put a new sticky in my housing! It looks like a bulletin board in there. Anybody know any great wreck sites I can peruse?

Back
Top Bottom