Wreck penetration line - hi Viz Orange vs. Yellow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the DGX Hi-Viz Yellow and it looks like a laser beam and my buddy uses the orange, it also looks like a laser beam. Of those two it is simply a preference of color they both are VERY visible.

Purely subjective, but in wreck environments line can rapidly get stained by silt/rust. You've noticed this primarily with white, but also yellow, line. Less so with orange. White and yellow tends to go beige (silt colored) quite quickly and loses its distinctiveness. Orange tends to stay hi-viz slightly longer.

Where do you buy these lines and can you use thicker line?

Here, there and everywhere, over the years.

The DGX line is good. I need to get some large spools of it soon (if I get a student/friend visiting from USA who can carry it over), as I've got a bunch or training reels/spools that need some fresh line.

I don't use thicker line specially for wrecks... not unless I'm laying an in-place (gold) line. If divers aren't pulling and mishandling a guideline, there's no cause for a well-laid guideline to severe in a wreck.

On the DGX sight they say that the Dacron line is actually stronger than the #36 line and thinner than the #24.

Why not a simple pvc line? Dacron is expensive as hell and offers no added benefit unless you mishandle your line.
I use a 2.5 mm orange pvc line and see no problems with it.

Why not a simple pvc line? Dacron is expensive as hell and offers no added benefit unless you mishandle your line.
I use a 2.5 mm orange pvc line and see no problems with it.

Do you have problems coiling them in, or jumping out of the reel ?

Last edited:
On the DGX sight they say that the Dacron line is actually stronger than the #36 line and thinner than the #24.

just swapped on the orange darcon on our DSMB spools. came loaded with 150' of #24, and that was overloaded to the point of making it hard to get the bolt snaps in place. replaced with the darcon and fit 180' on the spool with plenty of room to get the bolt snap onto the spool. figure you can fit 200' of darcon in the same space as 150' of #24.

darcon comes at about a 60% price premium vs #24 at DGX. would get pretty pricy for big primary spools, but wouldn’t bat an eye for using it on smaller safety/jump spools.

just swapped on the orange darcon on our DSMB spools. came loaded with 150' of #24, and that was overloaded to the point of making it hard to get the bolt snaps in place. replaced with the darcon and fit 180' on the spool with plenty of room to get the bolt snap onto the spool. figure you can fit 200' of darcon in the same space as 150' of #24.

darcon comes at about a 60% price premium vs #24 at DGX. would get pretty pricy for big primary spools, but wouldn’t bat an eye for using it on smaller safety/jump spools.

Yeah I'm also putting some on my safety spools as well. It does come out a bit more.... on a 400' primary reel it's 37USD extra and that gives you a total of 550' of line. Not out of reach or insanely expensive IMHO and something I don't mind dropping the extra coin on if it's effective - which it seems by most accounts it is.

Do you have problems coiling them in, or jumping out of the real ?
It is a bit stiff but not enough to cause problems. I do however only have 50m spools so the coils are small.

I'm in the market as well, but can't decide a source. Being somewhat color blind I like following a orange line in the caves. As already noted white stains water color quickly.

Discovered something useful to share. A UV light makes line brilliant until it's heavily built up with sediment, I now carry one as a backup.

Regards,
Cameron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom