• Destroy the site with crowbars

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • Leave it for other divers to see

Votes: 49 65.3%
  • Have protected sites only

Votes: 5 6.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by AusWiz
And let's get this 'beaut' porthole off, managed afew of those over the years!

But anything to do with War graves, or 'Protected' dive wrecks I stay well away from, there's too many Sea Lawyers out there to tangle with, as Mel Fisher found out when he found all that Spanish Maine Stuff.

Nothing like having the odd cannonball and bridge telegraph adorning the rumpus room to remind you of the thrill of bringing that stuff up to the surface after so many years on the bottom. Just like bringing back all that 'Moonrock' back in the '60's;-)

AusWiz
I guess because I'm a father and introduced my son and many others to wreck diving and have watched divers surface with big eyes saying "Oh man that's the best dive I've ever had" I've listened to them talk excitedly about the dive.

SO..... I want that for my grand children. There are no new shipwrecks in rec diving depth anymore. Any thing that sinks now is removed. The only new wrecks are sunk "reefs" which are great but don't have the same thrill as diving on a "real wreck."

The "preserve it for the enjoyment of everyone to come" arguement is lovely, if you're talking about wrecks that will be around so long as no one disturbs them. Here in New England, those wrecks that aren't swallowed whole by the churning sands, dashed to bits (of sea trash) upon the jagged rocks, or twisted and dispersed by storms generally either break apart and deteriorate over a relatively short period of time, or become so encrusted with a hard mineral conglomerate that you'd need an air hammer to be able to tell a horseshoe from a musket.

Leaving all the artifacts on these wrecks is the surest way to see that no one ever gets to enjoy them except for an occasional fortunate trawler fisherman or beach comber. Not that I'm saying you should strip every wreck you come across, but I don't at all have a problem with looking for a cool souvineir or two.

In the brief history of European inhabitance, there have been thousands of shipwrecks off Cape Cod alone, mostly not particularly significant ones. A site listing good dive sites off Cape Cod identified the known locations of about 5 of them.

The Massachusetts Board of Underwater Archaeological resources http://www.state.ma.us/czm/buares.htm lists a whole thirty eight known wrecks for divers in the entire state, and there are less than a dozen wrecks for which reconnisance and salvage permits have been issued.

The remainder are not just sitting forgotten in pristine condition on the bottom... they're mostly gone.

The official position on artifact recovery here is this:

Generally, those resources are defined as abandoned property, artifacts, treasure troves, and shipwrecks which have remained unclaimed for over 100 years, or exceed a value of $5,000, or are judged by the Board to be of historical value. The Commonwealth holds title to these resources and retains regulatory authority over their use. The Board's jurisdiction extends over the inland and coastal waters of the state.

If you find it first, and apply for the proper permits, the state keeps a third.

If we as divers don' t protect and preserve not only the water WE ALL dive in but, the things in the water we all love looking at when we dive we could very well be one of the last generations to enjoy the sport. personal responsibility should always be used:)

I think it's funny. In my opinion I think folks should keep things as they are, of corse I was brought up with the diving world instilling this thought into my brain. It is nice however to go to an awsome wreck in the great lakes and see stuff. Now the reason that I say it's funny is because we have been diving with a charter in the Great lakes. I won't name the charter or the wreck, but the person(s) involved preached how you cannot and will not disturb or take. Later on in the day one of the dive masters who took us around on one of the wrecks mentioned an artifact they had seen, (Bottle of wine), and the boat captain (charter operator) said that they should have hid it so they could come back and get it later. Now that really sucks to know that you have people that run trips to these wrecks and have all kinds of access to them, knowing full well that they are taking things from them. Being a package freighter ( no I won't say which one, or in what year it sank) there is all kinds of things down there. But to know the stuff is still leaving the site by reputable people like the one's involved is a shame. Now I am not bad mouthing the charter operator just wanted to pass on my feelings. In the end it is all just a big game for those who have the ability to play!

Jeff Great lakes diver:shaking:

I sure would like to dive some of those Lakes wrecks sometime. It must be nice to have well preserved remains. I've never seen anything like that.

There's nothing like it. I visited Tobermory after over 20 years of ocean wreck diving and was beyond impressed. The wrecks are drop-dead-gorgeous up there. You just have to get used to the ice crystals hitting the back of your throat....

So many unfounds there too. A buddy of mine has been looking for one (Marquette-Bessemer #2) for years, someday he'll find her. In a lot of ways I envy the Great Lakes divers but the winters aren't for me, I'm a Florida boy.

Someday I'll visit again though. I kinda miss those ice crystals......

Tom

Originally posted by MSilvia
I sure would like to dive some of those Lakes wrecks sometime. It must be nice to have well preserved remains. I've never seen anything like that.

Originally posted by WreckWriter
... Someday I'll visit again though. I kinda miss those ice crystals......

Tom

You know you'd be welcomed back... particularly after you make a comment like
The wrecks are drop-dead-gorgeous up there.

Originally posted by NetDoc
You may be drop dead gorgeous, but I wouldn't want to ever call you a wreck... :tease:

ahhhh. . . errrrr thanks?????? Good thing you're pal:wink:

...as long as we're on the topic of wrecks:

LONDON (Reuters) - Cannon balls retrieved from ancient shipwrecks are wreaking thunderous havoc centuries later -- by exploding on the desks of archaeologists, New Scientist magazine said Wednesday.
Robert Child, of the National Museums and Galleries of Wales in Cardiff, told the magazine that he had recorded several instances where the old rusted balls of metal started to heat up and turn red, or explode after being exposed to oxygen.

In one case, a ball retrieved from a 1691 wreck heated up to a few hundred degrees after several minutes in the open air, began to glow a dull red and started burning its way through the pine table.

"There was smoke coming off the bench," he told the magazine.

Child said in several cases the prized artifacts had split open many weeks after they were pulled from the sea.

He said the explosions happened because the balls had developed a lattice-like porous structure over hundreds of years that reacted with oxygen to produce massive amounts of heat.

The combination of oxygen and sea salt caused rapid oxidation resulting in the balls "exploding" open and crumbling into bits.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom