Wrecks for recreational divers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kassj0peja

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I discovered my interest in dive sites with history like wreck sites.

Besides the famous Yongala, Liberty, Thistlegorm, Bianca C, Coolidge what are great wrecks for recreational divers?

What geographic area are you looking for? North Carolina has a lot of wrecks in 130 feet or less.

Does not matter as long as they are recreational diver friendly.

Definitely check out NC. They have lots of real wrecks (as opposed to artificial reefs) and of course, the most famous is the U-352, easily accessible at 115'. Olympus dive center has a lot of info on their website about the wrecks.

Home - Olympus Dive Center

here's some in the caribbean:

The Wreck of the RMS Rhone | Dive BVI plus they have a small wreck alley
Blue Island Divers Dive SItes
Bermuda's Top Shipwreck Dives
Theo's Wreck
The Bonaire Shipwreck Expo Directory Capt. Dan Berg's Guide to Shipwrecks information
Superior Producer - temporarily closed while a 2nd cruise pier is added nearby.

A lot of the Southeast US coast diving is wreck diving - here's South Carolina's:
Myrtle Beach Scuba Diving Sites & Prices | Express Watersports

I don't wreck dive and I liked the Rhone.

Last edited:
Lots of them in the Great Lakes, wonderfully preserved by the cold fresh water.

It also depends on what your definition of a great wreck is. In the Great Lakes there are some amazingly well-preserved wrecks within recreational depths. That are completely open and more or less just frames of ships with little to no penetration opportunities.
As Ron noted though they are in cold water. Not the balmy cold of the Pacific but COLD like 36-40 degrees at the bottom cold. As such, there is some need to say that these are more challenging than some warm water wrecks that could arguably be called technical dives.
Even purpose sunk wrecks like the Vandenburg, Speigel Grove, and Duane have real history behind them. It just depends on your definition of history as well.

Thunder Bay, off Alpena, MI, in northern Lake Huron, has a lot of wrecks 60' or shallower. I'll be diving some of them this summer.

The Monohansett is only in 18', the Nordmeer in 40', and the DM Wilson in 60'.

I wouldn't say the Coolidge is recreational friendly. Most of the wreck is deep (40-75m). The top of the wreck is at 28m.

Anyway, lots of recreational depth wrecks in the UK

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom