Wrecks in Vancouver Island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoani

New
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm planing a trip to Vancouver Island 26-30 and wanted to get some recommendations about the best places to dive. I've heard about the wrecks there, and I'm very interested. I'm just starting to research this now, so any kind of information would be helpful. I'm a divemaster and my buddy is an advanced open water diver.

Thanks !

The HMCS Saskscatchewan and Cape Bretton are 2 very good wreck dives accessible by boat from the Nanaimo Harbour. Sea dragon runs a charter from there. There are a ton of great dives around Vancouver Island in addition to wrecks. Some of the best diving on the planet is around Browning Pass at the very Northern end of Vancouver Island. Well worth the trip if can get up there. There is one guy who runs day charters from Port McNeil to the area plus 2 dive resorts that do 3,4,5,6 etc. all inclusive dive trips. Browning Pass Hideaway and God's Pocket. Might still be able to book something.

Which part of Vancouver Island are you planning to visit? It's a rather large island, and there are wrecks located in several places. Along the south, near Victoria, are the McKenzie and Church ... these are artificial reefs that are visited every week-end by the boat out of Ogden Point Dive Centre. There is also a real wreck ... the Black Dragon ... which is a tech dive.

Nanaimo, about two hours north of Victoria, hosts the Cape Breton and Sasketchewan ... probably the two most well-known artificial reefs on the island. There are multiple charter services out to those ... but as previously mentioned, I'd recommend Sea Dragon charters.

Three hours north of there, in Campbell River, you have the Columbia ... another artificial reef.

Personally, when I go to VanIsle, the wrecks are almost incidental. There's just so much great reef, wall and pinnacle diving to be had, and tons of marine life to look at. Port Hardy ... on the northern tip of the island ... is one of the all-time great places to dive anywhere on the planet. The walls at Browning Pass are simply spectacular.

But where you choose to dive will really depend on where you're planning to stay ... it's almost an all-day trip by car from Victoria to Port Hardy ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

There's also a 737 sunk as an artificial reef near Chemainus, which is about 1/3rd of the way between Nanaimo and Victoria. It's a neat dive.

Does anyone know if there are charters that go to the 737?

Back
Top Bottom