Wrinkles' October 30th Dive in La Jolla And Beach BBQ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

krowsea:
I respectfully beg to differ. :wink: With the occasional light rain, you are correct, but with the torrential downpour we've had nonstop for two weeks (the wettest October in San Diego's recorded history) it'll take some time to redeposit. The next rain will bring it back out to the ocean, but right now, the whistles been blown and everyone needs to get back in the water. Having been in San Diego's water a couple of times a week for the last three years or so, I have in fact seen water quality improve immediately following a prolonged onslaught of rain such as we've just had. The sewage spill is not a consideration, because it occured in the very southern part of San Diego, with the only beach closures due to the spill being Ocean Beach and points south. La Jolla Shores is waaaaaaaaaay north of that point and with the current running south, it is not going to be a problem. Feel free to come and meet everyone at the BBQ (as I am :eyebrow: ) or come to dive (which I'll be doing also). The locals are diving, and we don't dive when it's nasty or harmful.

John-Boy
Not knowing my SD geography so well, I didn't realize the spill was south of LaJolla, so I agree the spill is not an issue. As for elevated bacteria levels, we will just have to agree to disagree on the speed with with urban poison can redeposit itself.

I am confused about your comment "..I have in fact seen water quality improve immediately following a prolonged onslaught of rain such as we've just had." Are you talking about published bacterial levels or just overall diving visibility. If you are talking about published levels, it would be useful to be able to access the source.

All of that being said, I will be there tomorrow and likely dive. I'll take my chances that 48 hours is sufficient time given the spill is south. Plus I rarely get sick, so I suspect (read: hope) my immune system is strong. :)

See ya in 10 hours or so.....

5Am and the truck is packed. I'll be at the Shores by 6am. See you all there.

Terry :bang:

All day, I thought about the fun you were having. Someone, send in a report please! I wish I could have been there!

What can I say? It rained all day with a strong wind out of the north, temps were in the 34-38 range on shore and in the water closer to 33 degrees. Waves were 4-5 feet with the ocasional 8 footer comming in. But it did not matter, as the water was chooclate brown with lots of float fish evident and the aroma, wow! The charcoal never showed up so we had no way to cook the food, if the rain had stopped long enough to get the coal lit.

There, feel better about missing it?

Now for the real report. Arrived at 0600 to dew on the grass and temps around 64 SUUNTO degrees at 0700 a.m. Waves were small but with the sets continuous and no need to time them for entry or exit. Visibility was 10 to 15 feet and in some places better at around 20 feet depending on location and depth. Some divers got in 4 dives and a few may have gotten 5. The sun came out and temps warmed nicely staying cool so we were no roasting in our wetsuits, but not too cool (dry suits, well they always roast on shore). Food was abundant as was the company. We had I estimate over 30 divers in attendance, with some staying all day, others dropping in and doing a dive or two and leaving.

Special thanks to Anna Marie for organizing the food. The Tents were a nice touch and a special thanks to those who brought them as well as the tarps we laid our gear on. If you were unable to make it, well you missed a special day with great friends, and good diving. The shuttle services provided by members of our group to get refills on the tanks was also appreciated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom