Wrist Computers - I Need Your Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uhhhh . . . I never said I don't check my gas. I said I don't use a computer to shape my dive profile, which is true. And I said my SPG is a backup to my brain, which is true -- and even on the dive I wrote about, once I had CHECKED my pressure, I knew very closely how much gas I'd end the dive with, and I was right. I do check my pressure during a dive, but I don't do it anywhere near as often as I check my depth and time, so I don't need a pressure gauge on my wrist. (Although, after my brain fart from the other day, my LDS owner thinks I do :) )

Mike, I'll Pm you so as not to get this thread further off track.

You're swimming with your left forearm in an awkward fixed position and I'm just holding the console in front of me, which I think is more natural.

I swim with my hands over the opposite elbows, so the compass is usually targeted okay. The retractor sounds cool though, my primary objection to the console is that it's big and bounces around.

When you're suiting up the wrist compass gets caught on the shoulder webbing, I don't have this problem. And it's another to don when suiting up, and another item that can get lost.

Yeah. No argument there. I smashed the ring off a compass like that once.

My Galileo has a great compass, large, works at almost any angle, very accurate, and I never use it.

First because it eats batteries (I'm already on my third battery in just over a year) and second because when it is a compass, it is not being a dive computer.

My solution is to have another compass.. but am saving up for a Tissot sea-touch as my backup, as it's compass is not the battery hog.

Or Dirk Pitt with the orange Doxa!

I found one 20 years or so ago on a dive.

Computer this, computer that.

Bah!!! All you need are: good compass (SK-7), good SPG, good depth gauge and a watch. Heck, if you use a Doxa, you don't even need dive table since the US Navy NDL dive table is built right onto the bezel. Sure, a computer can handle most of these duties, but my rig doesn't require batteries or electronics. Not to mention it makes me feel like I was diving with Mike Nelson or something...

LuckyPeakReservoirBoise010.jpg

I came back to this thread to check for updates and I realized that me, and everyone who posted a response on this thread missed the point.

Reread the title and you'll see what I mean. The Op is looking for advice from wrist computers, not his fellow posters.

I came back to this thread to check for updates and I realized that me, and everyone who posted a response on this thread missed the point.

Reread the title and you'll see what I mean. The Op is looking for advice from wrist computers, not his fellow posters.

Steve, are you trying to annoy me? :D

I have owned several different computers, and the one I have now -Oceanic HUD - is hands down the best. Aside from the others, I had a hose-integrated computer that leaked and then malfunctioned on the first 4 of 5 dives. I returned it for a non-integrated. Now I have the Oceanic HUD mask. It has never failed in over 100 dives, I do not concern myself with checking my gauges b/c the data is right in my vision during the entire dive, and my eye vision is not an issue - the data is readable without any corrective lenses. It will work with Nitrox, but not with more complex gas mixtures. The one downside to this computer is I have no console for a compass. I still have an analog spg attached (which is redundant), but I rarely strap on a compass; where I usually dive, though, a compass is unnecessary.

I wouldnt bother with AI - you still need to carry an analogue backup and ive seen no end of people delaying everyone on dives while they try to get the damn things to sync properly. Half the time they just give up and get in anyway.

Why would I want to carry a SPG for a recreational dive? My Luna has never failed to keep transmission from the 1st stage and has never caused me to thumb a dive.

I have never seen anyone struggle with sync or delay other divers. Want to guess how many times my Luna has failed to sync up? Zero.

FWIW, I have 93 dives on my Luna since May 28 of this year. I put this out there only to show that it gets lots of use.

Digital compass. Yeah it works but its not as nice as a big analogue one on a wrist.

This is arguable, as there are benefits to both. Which do you have? I like the ability to set a bearing in the Luna's compass, but a bezel that rotates does have its place.

Adam, you hit the nail on the head.
I'm always trying to minimize and streamline my rig. So ... IF it works well and is reliable (and that is my question), an AI wrist computer with digital compass would eliminate one HP hose, one retractor or clip, the bulky console, and the separate compass, and put everything I need on my left wrist where I can easily see it.

See above. 93 dives over the last three months with no issues, no failures, no lost contacts, and it does exactly what you want. There will be tons of people on SB talking about how they fail, how you will die without a SPG backup, and all kinds of other BS. Most of these people can't even spell air-integrated, much less have any first-hand experience with them.

Sure, there will be failures. Everything can fail, can't it? I've seen a hell of a lot more hoses fail than AI computers fail, that's for sure.

FWIW, i do not have an AI transmitter on my doubles reg...just a SPG :wink:

I dove with a D9 for some time. I love the watch, but it has a small display which doesn't always go well with 40+ year-old-eyes.

I just ordered the Mares Icon HD and it looks great. I just got it in and it is WAY easier to work than the D9. It is not air integrated yet, but will be there hopefully in the next year. ($450 upgrade). I love the huge display and it is a lot cheaper.

You can beat the $1900 cost of a D9 easily...shop around.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom