Wrist or console mounted?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xaryo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm starting to look for a computer and I'm in a dilema.

I would like some opinions about the difference between wrist mounted and console mounted.

Is the console mounted always plugged to the tank pressure or not. If it is, would'nt be best to have an other tank pressure gauge ("mecanical" i.e without batteries) in case the computer starting doing free games?

Is the console mounted always plugged to the tank pressure or not. If it is, would'nt be best to have an other tank pressure gauge ("mecanical" i.e without batteries) in case the computer starting doing free games?

Console computers can be air-integrated or not. Sometimes it's just a "puck" style computer that is not hooked up to the hp air hose (for example the Suunto Gekko can be wrist mounted or popped out from the wrist mount and used as a puck style console computer). The ones that are plugged in to the air hose are air-integrated and will show you air remaining (like the Suunto Cobra or the Sherwood Wisdom).

I guess some people use an analog gauge as a backup to their dive computers whether they are air-integrated or not or console vs wrist mounted. I personally do not for simple recreational diving (my brain is my backup).

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

-J.-

I, personally would go for a wrist-mounted computer because when I swim, my hands are either semi-raised in front of me or crossed on my chest. If I need to check my computer, it is easy and convenient. My current set-up has my compass, depth and pressure gauges on a console. I have an Oceanic DataPro Plus computer on my left wrist and a cheap UWATEC depth/dive timer on my right wrist for back up in case my computer goes wonky. When I upgrade from my Oceanic computer, I would like to get a wrist-mounted computer with a wireless pressure gauge but I will still keep the mechanical one on my console as back-up just in case. Redundancy is good insurance. I know most of the new console-mounted computers are connected to the air hose to monitor air pressure but some may be wireless. For me, the console is cumbersome as I have to look down and grab it or un-clip it to look at it. Maybe, stuggle with the pressure hose as it does have some stiffness to it. In an emergency situation, I would like to have the computer on my wrist so all I have to do is raise my arm and look at the computer. Or, when I am doing my safety stops or decompression stops, my arms are usually positioned at chest level so the computer is always in front of me in plain view.

My 2-cents worth...

There really isn't any need for a live backup on a recreational dive. If your computer fails, just end the dive.

I keep a mechanical backup (SPG & Depth gauge) in my bag. It has the same connector as my computer, so if the computer fails, I can switch to tables, SPG and watch for the second.

A spare computer on the surface isn't much use, since it will not know your nitrogen loading and can't make accurate calculations.

Terry

As has been said above, console computers can be air-integrated or not. Wrist computers can be air-integrated with the use of a transmitter which you attach to your first stage, although this is the most expensive computer configuration.

I used a console AI computer to begin with. I found having to pull the thing up to check my depth and dive time, which I do frequently, to be annoying. I now use a wrist gauge, because I can reference it as often as I like. I also use a mechanical SPG, which works fine for me.

I use the wrist computer that is air-integrated wireless, as a back up I use mini spg that plugs right into the 1st stage.

In the beginning of the dive I compare the two, they should read identical in pressure, then I go for my dive.

If my computer fails on pressure during the dive I have two options: time to abort the dive or check the mini spg via a quick removal of the BC as trained in OW classes.

I would probably go with aborting the dive even though my wireless has been flawless so far; I've read they have come along way since they first hit the market.

I really enjoy the convinience of not having hoses everywhere, I already have clutter with my video camera.

MG

Back
Top Bottom