Wt. Difference between Signature and Scribble first stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RIHappyDiver

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Can anyone tell me the weight difference between the 2 first stages? Thinking about a last minute purchase for a travel reg set, but don’t know if there is enough difference to justify it.

Thanks,

Erik

Also interested in other differences between two Deep6 regs that users have experienced.
Plus interested in Deep6 regulator service class experience.

Can anyone tell me the weight difference between the 2 first stages? Thinking about a last minute purchase for a travel reg set, but don’t know if there is enough difference to justify it.

Thanks,

Erik

I have one signature and two scribble 1st stages. The Scribble does weigh less than the signature and is also more compact (see attached photo for side by side comparison.) I don't have a scale to weigh the differences, but there is a significant weight difference.

If you are on the fense about buying one, I can't recommend either Deep6 1st stages enough! As for which one, it depends on what you are looking for. I got the signature for me and two Scribbles for my sons (one of which won't be diving for another 2 and a half years - but that is how much I belive in this company and their products.) I can say the quality of the Scribble is outstanding just like the signature.

In my opinion the scribble is a great starter 1st stage or travel 1st stage. As what was covered in the previous thread, there are some significant differences. I'm working on my Rescue cert to quickly be followed by my Divemaster cert, so I wanted the more advanced 1st stage. Having said that, the Scribble will probably be with my sons for a very long time unless they start going after the advanced certs, at which time we decide if the differences between the 1st stages warrant buying signatures.

As for the class, I can't speak about it as I have not gone through it yet.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Happy to help! :thumb:

@Scuba J7, thanks for the link. While it didn’t have weights, there was a lot of good info.

@NIS1169, thanks for the info. For some reason I can’t bring up the photo. I currently have the Signature first stage, which is why I’m so on the fence. I took it on a Caribbean trip last year and it was great (not too heavy at all), and I really don’t need another first stage (as if that is ever a consideration), but $200 for a first stage-second stage combo is tough to pass up. It’s really for the blue second, but then I’m only 115.00 away from the set, so I’m just looking for a good excuse.

Thanks again,

Erik

Erik,

Sorry about the photo - first time posting one. I changed the permissions on my album. Please let me know if you can or can't see the photo now.

Yeah, it's really hard to pass up on this deal, I know. :wink:

We'll, look at it this way - if you already have 2nd stages, then it's just $125. (but then again, for another $75 you can get another 2nd stage... Yeah, I'm no help... Sorry... Lol)

So, here is another way to look at it...the DGX set they make is $250 (without yoke) and that set "requires" a yearly service schedule, "can't" be worked on by you and doesn't include service kits (yes, you get one 1st stage service kit and one 2nd stage service kit with the purchase - that's a additional savings of $50) so really you are paying $150 for a 1st stage and a 2nd stage!

Does that help? (I can justify anything - just give some time to figure it out :D)

@NIS1169, remind me not to take you car shopping with me. The Ford Focus would quickly turn into a BMW, lol! Yeah, I think it’s too good to pass up. Thanks for the input, and the photo. It really does appear to be much more compact.

Safe diving!

@Bubblesong, if I do get the Scribble, I won’t be able to do side by side comparisons until April or May. However, if you are down in the Newport/Jamestown area diving this summer, or at Sandwich, let me know and I’ll let you give them both a try. Or, I could meet you somewhere further north, depending on where you are in Mass. Sorry I can’t be of more immediate help.

Erik

Also interested in other differences between two Deep6 regs that users have experienced.
Plus interested in Deep6 regulator service class experience.

Bubblesong,

I'm so sorry I didn't provide input for you! So, I just got my regs and haven't dove with them yet, but simple surface test (in my living room) both breath extremely easy! I should be able to test both out before April/May time frame (probably be about a month for me to use them) . I'll try to remember to come back here and post my views on them.

@NIS1169, remind me not to take you car shopping with me. The Ford Focus would quickly turn into a BMW, lol! Yeah, I think it’s too good to pass up. Thanks for the input, and the photo. It really does appear to be much more compact.

LMAO! I'm actually very thoughtful before buying. I've been looking for new reg sets for the family for months now.

I've happy I was able to help! If you do end up buying a scribble set, please let me know your thoughts when you get it - I'd be very interested.

Cheers and Happy New Year!

John

So, here is another way to look at it...the DGX set they make is $250 (without yoke) and that set "requires" a yearly service schedule, "can't" be worked on by you and doesn't include service kits (yes, you get one 1st stage service kit and one 2nd stage service kit with the purchase - that's a additional savings of $50) so really you are paying $150 for a 1st stage and a 2nd stage!

What does “can’t” mean? Does that mean Chris won’t sell service kits for the scribble or DGX, even if you own a Sig and took the training?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom