WTB moisture munchers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually I've seen anything from lavender to pink in shops but they are supposed to be blue. I asked one shop for a discount once, he said there was nothing he could do even though he knew I was buying a partially used product since the munchers were very lavender.
Ber :lilbunny:

I'm stumped b/c I buy them in packages of 5 and I'm pretty sure they are the sealife brand- my camera is a SeaLife DC 600 and my dive shop always has full stock o the munchers and they are all pink! I would certainly question if some packages were pink and some were blue...Always come in a sealed pack... Anyone else ever buy pink ones?

Hummmm....

I recently bought a strobe on Ebay. I included a 10 pack of moisture munchers. The bags were still factory sealed, but the moisture munchers were pink. I have tried puting them in the oven and microwaving them. They did turn blue but even in the sealed bag, they turn pink in a matter of a day or so.
I'm going to try the Damp-Rid next.

I think a major part of the problem is the packaging method. Small "press lock" bags are hard to get fully closed - even when you "double-bag" them, they still let moist air inside. SeaLife has recognized this and has changed to a new package - fully heat sealed along all 4 sides. This problem is made worse when flying because the reduced cabin (or cargo hold) pressure causes the bags to "breathe" through the seal.

I have found that putting a small group (4) of the moisture munchers in a very small bag, putting several packs into a slightly larger bag and then those inside a 1 qt "slider" bag with some DampRid inside keeps the moisture munchers "blue" for a couple of weeks.

I have found that putting a small group (4) of the moisture munchers in a very small bag, putting several packs into a slightly larger bag and then those inside a 1 qt "slider" bag with some DampRid inside keeps the moisture munchers "blue" for a couple of weeks.
Looking for clarification here."Very small bag" meaning one of the snack size Ziplocs that are smaller than a regular sandwich baggie or something else?
Thanks!

I actually use the small bags that SeaLife puts 5 moisture munchers in when they sell them. If you buy a 10 pack, they pack 5 in each inner (small) bag and put 2 small bags in a bigger, outer bag - or at least that was the way they sold them several years ago. I haven't bought any in over a year, so they may have changed the packaging, even before they went to the newest "sealed" packages.

I am just reusing what they previously sold - they were nice thick bags - but the seal was hard to get fully closed. Another place I have gotten small bags (about 1" x 2") with seals is the ACE hardware store - they have them to put loose screws and nuts in - they are fairly light weight, but seal better. They hold 4-5 moisture munchers.

Hope that helps

It does, thanks for the clarification!

How about once they are "dried out", put a few of them in one of the vaccum seal bags and seal it shut.....or if your creative and space them around the bag, once you have the bag sealed you could do seperate seams in the bag and make indivigual sealed containers for each one. That should keep them dry until needed.

I was in the shop last week and ScubaToy had a bunch of the Sealife moisture munchers in-stock. They are now in the better sealed packaging listed before.

I have always purchaed them blue and they turn pink after they are spent.

PM me. I got a bunch if you need them but see below first :D

If you already have the capsules - go to Home Depot, Lowes etc and get a small tub of DAMP RID & put the spent (Pink) capsules in with it. They will change from pink to a bright blue in about a day :D

I will definitely try this! Thanks for a great suggestion! Now I can stop using the oven to rejuvenate free shoe-box silica gel packs....! :D

Dave C

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom