WTX Wing, confused with all the options.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heruhur

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
If all goes well, my BCD will be replaced with a wing somewhere in the spring the coming year.
I'm interested in the WTX series wings, but I'm confused at what the possibilities are.

I intend to use it with my 15L. single tank and single reg. at first, with future usage of doubles in mind.

Now my 1st question is, can I use the WTX Harness and the WTX-D45 Wing with a single tank?
Or does it require the use of a backplate and/or single tank adapter?

2nd, is the internal retractor kit usable without a backplate?

3rd, can you use the surelock weight system and the cargo pockets together on the wtx harness?

oh my.

1. Apeks isn't going to respond to this thread with information you need, and we can't suggest alternatives, so ask a mod to move this to the BC thread.

2. you can't use single tank wings with doubles. Bad idea. Like really really bad idea. There are a very select few that can get away with it in certain circumstances, I.e. using 8" diameter single tanks and lp50 doubles with a Dive Rite Rec Wing. That's about it.

3. Don't buy the WTX harness, you don't need it. Solid backplate. If you want a rig for single tank travel, their Ultralight Travel Plate isn't bad for single tank, but a backplate is still better.

4. The WTX-D45 will technically go on a single tank because it has slots for cam bands, but don't do it. Bad idea. It will wrap around the bottle and you will be very unstable.

5. Dont' buy the internal retractor kit. It is an equipment solution to a skills problem, and can only be installed on the singles wings. Buy a wing only as large as you need it to be and you won't have to worry about it.

6. With a SS backplate and 15l bottles, you shouldn't need any extra weight, and if so, the surelock is very expensive and unnecessary. You can purchase universal weight pockets the will slide right onto the waist belt of any single piece webbing harness. They are quite inexpensive.

7. Cargo pockets are in the same boat as above. Don't need them, take up space. Better solution is to purchase pockets for your suits directly, or neoprene cargo shorts. Much better solution. Apeks has their tech shorts which are nice, just expensive.

When it comes to BP&W, the best option is to embrace a minimalist approach. At least, as a starting point...

Many of the benefits of BP&W are realized through minimalism... a K.I.S.S. approach. Over the years, most BP&W divers have appreciated the sense of that. As a starting point, buy less and add what you need. It just saves time selling superfluous stuff at a loss on eBay later...

If you plan to travel with the rig, get an aluminium backplate. Add a simple single-tank donut wing of 30-40lbs capacity. 30lbs is ideal for most people, but if using larger capacity steel cylinders in cold water, then you might justify 40lbs of lift. Might....

Single tank wings are for single tanks. Double for doubles. There is no such thing as a wing that works well for both. The width differs...over-sized wings 'taco' with single tanks. It's a dreadful experience to dive. Single tank wings are too narrow with doubles... the cylinders will impede buoyancy.

Initially go for a simple one-piece (hogarthian/DIR) style harness. Avoid the 'comfort' and 'deluxe' styles. Only add those later, IF you need them. You probably won't...

Don't be tempted to add a lot of gizmos and fancy stuff to the rig. Not unless you've got shares in the company...

One exception is to, possibly, add a pair of trim weight pockets to the upper cam-band. This makes sense if you get an aluminum backplate... and also helps you trim horizontally. With a 3mm full suit in warm water, I use an aluminum backplate...add 4lbs (2x 2lbs) to the trim pockets... I don't need a weightbelt at all. In cold water I used to add 2x 4lbs... which was enough for drysuit diving.

For equipment stowage, use thigh pockets; sewn onto your exposure protection or on neoprene shorts. These are easier to access, lighter and more streamlined.

Apeks kit is nice... so is ScubaPro X-Tek and Halcyon...but all BP&W are essentially the same.... you can get the same functionality for much cheaper if you look at DSS or HOG gear. Shopping in Europe? Look at FROG equipment... save money to afford more diving :wink:

You can use the WTX-45 with a single tank if you wanted to but it will flapping around. You are also going to want to buy the single tank adapter to help secure the tank. The WTX harness is a nice setup and you will like it.

If all goes well, my BCD will be replaced with a wing somewhere in the spring the coming year.
I'm interested in the WTX series wings, but I'm confused at what the possibilities are.

I intend to use it with my 15L. single tank and single reg. at first, with future usage of doubles in mind.

Now my 1st question is, can I use the WTX Harness and the WTX-D45 Wing with a single tank?

3rd, can you use the surelock weight system and the cargo pockets together on the wtx harness?

1) The tank(s) used are almost never a factor in determining Required wing capacity, they can be a factor in selecting the proper back plate material (Stainless Steel vs lightweight)

2) Exposure suit buoyancy DOES direct influence required wing capacity. Remember divers are Compensating for changes in exposure suit Buoyancy with their BC.

3) Divers most often move to a Back Plate and Wing because they want a simpler, less cluttered, better performing BC. Resist the temptation to turn a BP&W *back* into the complex, cluttered bc you are trying to leave behind. Big dives are routinely done by divers using a simple BP&W and Hogarthian harness.

If you have specific questions I'm happy to answer.

Tobin

The WTX harness is much more like a traditional BCD with configurable lift than a traditional backplate and wing. Once you add the Surelock weight system and cargo pockets, you are that much closer to the Apeks BCD design. While I am not a big fan of this harness design, what I do like about the WTX harness compared to some other "deluxe" or "comfort" harness designs is that while a backplate is not required, you can easily slide a backplate into the harness resulting in extra weight and rigidity where I like it. I own and have dived the WTX Backplate inside the WTX Harness, with SureLock weights and the WTX3 wing with steel cylinders and no STA. I use the same configuration (minus the cam bands) with a set of LP-50 doubles. I found that the WTX-D series wings do not work as well with the WTX Harness + inserted WTX backplate without a STA. If you look at the WTX3 versus the WTX-D single cylinder series, you will see that the location for the cam bands are different. The WTX-D series work OK with a STA, but the stabilizers interfere and you made need some longer bolts if you insert the backplate into the WTX Harness like I do. The Apeks STA includes two pair of different lengths to accommodate this. The WTX-D45 is a twin cylinder wing and I would not recommended it with a single cylinder. I do not think the internal retractor kit is needed with a properly sized wing.

I personally feel that the Apeks WTX Backplate (I prefer steel even for warm water diving) with the one piece webbed harness and a wing sized to the situation is the ideal solution (WTX-D Series wings work fine with cam bands and no STA in this config as the backplate does have matching slots). I still own the WTX harness and will still use it a few times a year with the WTX3 wing and LP-50 doubles...likely to give me an excuse as to why I don't sell it. I do understand why some people like like the "deluxe" or "comfort" harness designs. I personally find the simplicity, fit, and comfort of a backplate with a single piece of webbing superior to the WTX Harness. I use the WTX-D18, WTX3 and WTX4 wings depending on the situation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom