wwII .50 cal bullets....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
here in newfoundland if you are around for a visit or live here theres a nice dive in middle cove, its only about...75 metres out from shore and in 20 feet of water and it was a u.s jeep carrying ammo and supplies and now you can collect the bullets from the ground. the only hazard is if theres surf or surge youll be thrown against the rocks so you almost want to have some experience in surgy water because it can result in some injuries or even in worst case scenario death, weve had a few cases but its if your properly trained its worth the reward of the .50 cal bullets! anyways,, ttyl.

Is the jeep still there?

In the 60's I picked up a ton of 50 cal and 20mm shells in the Philippines from wrecks in Manila Bay and Corregidor. I remember spending hours polishing them and trying to get the coral growth off of them. Wish I had kept some now with the coral on them... And my comics my mom threw out!

well there are some springs and that left but the jeep kinda deteriated and fell apart and would wash away so not really the jeep is technically gone but there are parts to it left.

It's can actually be pretty hazardous retrieving live munitions from the sea. They can be extremely unstable, especially if there has been any corrosion and seepage.

the WWII stuff is really unstable - plus you usually have a primer or some time of detonating cap that fires the main charge - 20 mm and .50 cal are large rounds and have some serious explosive potential. I've recovered "live" civil war era cannon balls, dumped the powder and touched it off with a match - still burned like it would have 150 years ago. The CW area fuses were not usually impact fuses (or least not the ones I messed with), but a kind of spiraled time fuse that was lit by the flame from the gun discharge...crude but effective and reasonably safe...at least it wouldn't blow if you dropped it....usually.

Back
Top Bottom